Air Pump

Tropical_Decade

Fish Fanatic
Joined
Jul 3, 2009
Messages
117
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Hello all,

I have currently got an internal filter with a really good output on it (loads of bubbles).

However this is on the right side of the tank, and im thinking about getting an air pump for the left side, just have a small bubble stream or bubble wall etc.

Do most of you leave air pumps on 24/7 or have them on timer? I was thinking of putting it on timer with my light, so its off for 12 hours 10pm til 10am.

Is there a problem with doing this? Will the fish get accustomed to the extra bubbles and then be lacking in oxygen when its turned off over night?

Cheers

Gaz
 
i would keep it on constant i do even though i have a power head breaking the surface of the water and a sump so there is laods of oxygen in there
 
Do they cost alot to run? Do they draw much current?

I was thinking of halving the electricity by having it on half the time, lol.

But if it doesnt cost alot then there wont be a problem.

Cheers
 
I think the gas exchange debate of air pumps is negligible as powerheads or filters can easily break the surface up and and live plants will add oxygen to the water. Bubblewalls and air pumps imo should be used for aesthetic raeasons not neccessarily practical reasons unless running an air powered filter. I would put it on a timer.
 
Okay thanks,

It will be used purely for aesthetic reasons.

I have got a good spray from the internal filter, breaking about 25% of the surface, as well as 5 live plants.

Cheers

Gaz
 
If its running a filter then it needs to be constant
If its only for asthetics then a timer would be fine especially if its in a bedroom environment and the noise from the pump is a nuisance.
ATB
C
 

Most reactions

Back
Top