Air pump for 30/50 L tanks and sponge filter for up to 60 gal tanks

Salty&Onion

Fish Aficionado
Reaction score
Hi all, I recently bought a sponge filter (for 60 gallon tanks) for my 125 ltr and an air pump for 30/50 ltr tanks. The small air pump was bough by an accident, where I wanted to but an air pump with a higher frequency.
I wonder if this is going to work together for my 125 ltr tank or do I have to get an air pump with a higher frequency?

Deanasue

Staff member
Global Moderator
Tank of the Month!
Reaction score
Try it and see how it works. I grab the first one I see on my shelf. Most work just fine.

Deanasue

Staff member
Global Moderator
Tank of the Month!
Reaction score
I’m not familiar with it.

essjay

Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
I haven't used an Aqua One pump (I have an Eheim) but you can try it to see.

Guppy10

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Pumps are sold by the volume of the air output as you stated, a good indication is the power consumption in watts so it would be good to no the wattage. Is Iv just looked at mine running a small sponge is 2ltr/min @ 2.5W, the other is 4ltr/min@ 4W with 2 outlets, so I'd say it's a bit small.

Guppy10

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Overlap there lol. I wouldn't go by that as you can regulate the output if too much ( which I very much doubt )

OP
Salty&Onion

Salty&Onion

Fish Aficionado
Reaction score
Pumps are sold by the volume of the air output as you stated, a good indication is the power consumption in watts so it would be good to no the wattage. Is Iv just looked at mine running a small sponge is 2ltr/min @ 2.5W, the other is 4ltr/min@ 4W with 2 outlets, so I'd say it's a bit small.
The sponge filter is for 60 gallon tanks and it doesn't come with an air pump so I bought an air pump for 30/50 ltr tanks and I've got a spare pump that is doing with 100 ltr per hour.
Never mind, I'll just wait longer until it comes and goes and I'll get a bigger air pump for the filter, though I hoped that this will somehow work out.

Metalhead88

Fish Addict
Reaction score
Give it a shot, If you have a nice flow of bubbles on the sponge filter, it's good to go.

I have a Whisper 60 that is rated for a 60 gallon on paper.

That single pump runs to a gang valve split to 3 hoses. 2 hoses go to sponge filters on my 90 gallon that supplements the main filtration.

The 3rd line runs to a small sponge filter on a 10 gallon that is the only filter.

It was origionally intended for a 55 gallon, but I upgraded to a 90 and the pump still works as intended so I have no reason to get a bigger air pump. The 90 is a tall tank too.

OP
Salty&Onion

Salty&Onion

Fish Aficionado
Reaction score
Give it a shot, If you have a nice flow of bubbles on the sponge filter, it's good to go.

I have a Whisper 60 that is rated for a 60 gallon on paper.

That single pump runs to a gang valve split to 3 hoses. 2 hoses go to sponge filters on my 90 gallon that supplements the main filtration.

The 3rd line runs to a small sponge filter on a 10 gallon that is the only filter.

It was origionally intended for a 55 gallon, but I upgraded to a 90 and the pump still works as intended so I have no reason to get a bigger air pump. The 90 is a tall tank too.
You use a pump for 60 gals for your 90 gal?
I bought a model of the pump for 30/50 ltr tanks, I think, yeah I should be good to go. In couple weeks of time I can upgrade the air pump and I'll use this air pump as an additional aeration since I still should be cycling the tank. Thanks for help! :) :)

Metalhead88

Fish Addict
Reaction score
You use a pump for 60 gals for your 90 gal?
I bought a model of the pump for 30/50 ltr tanks, I think, yeah I should be good to go. In couple weeks of time I can upgrade the air pump and I'll use this air pump as an additional aeration since I still should be cycling the tank. Thanks for help! :) :)
Yes. And and a 10 gallon for the one pump.

That one 60 gallon pump goes to 3 sponge filters that are all working correctly.

OP
Salty&Onion

Salty&Onion

Fish Aficionado
Reaction score
Yes. And and a 10 gallon for the one pump.

That one 60 gallon pump goes to 3 sponge filters that are all working correctly.
So I think when you're doing great then, I should be fine :) I'll still be ugrading the size of the pump so I could feel secure lol Thanks for the help! :)

trending

Staff online

Most reactions - Past 7 days