aggressive black skirt tetras

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Seriously Fish has Puntius semifasciolatus requiring at minimum a tank with dimensions 36 inches (90 cm) by 12 in (30 cm). And a group of 8-10. Any additional fish species would require more space than this minimum.
have u ever considered that volume of water only applies if you intend to keep 8-10 gold barbs? as i have said, i only keep 5 of them

not saying im not considering it, but every single gold barb care website states the mininum tank size for these fish is at least 15-20 gallon, and example is the website the spruce pets, which suggests a min of 20 galls for a school of 5-6 all gold barb vids ive seen also suggest the same, are you saying that every single video out there and every fishkeeping website is wrong? im not saying that byron is wrong, we are all entitled to our opinion, its just natural that not everyones is not the same, especially when it comes to something as controversial as stocking fish, opinions can vary wildly, howver all im saying is that the vast majority of fish keepers claim that 15-20 galls is sufficient for a small school

Clearly, your problem is you are using sites that obviously have no factual knowledge of the subject. Who is the biologist/ichthyologist behind the information on Spruce's Pets? And yes, if they are promoting misinformation they are wrong.

And let me set the record straight...this has nothing to do with me being right or wrong. And opinions are of no relevance either. My opinion is frankly of no more importance than yours or anyone else's. I have studied fish physiology, species and habitats from the educated ichthyologists and biologists and microbiologists. They all agree, and I learn from them. When I am sick I go to a professional doctor and I take his/her advice. That is the only assurance of probable reliability.

Read Nathan Hill's observation in blue below my signature.

have u ever considered that volume of water only applies if you intend to keep 8-10 gold barbs? as i have said, i only keep 5 of them

And that is another error. Five is inadequate. They should be in a group of 8-10 for proper care. When we decide to put fish in a tank of water, we have the responsibility to research the needs of the fish and provide accordingly. And we go to the informed knowledgeable professionals for that advice. Anything less is not fair to the fish.

Theres recommendations for minimum shoal numbers for a reason. If the minimum to feel safe and content isnt met, is it really keeping them properly?

I could put a single cory fish in a 5 gallon. Sure, the size of the single fish would work fine for the bioload. But now the cory isnt kept in enough numbers, so doesnt feel secure and will get easily stressed. The fish may eat, swim, "play" every day and look totally normal, but stress can be internalized and effect the fish's immune system and should an illness come up, stress will make it so much worse.

So the recommendation from experience is to meet the minimum requirements for their social needs too. If its recommended to keep gold barbs 8-10 minimum, and are then only keeping them in 6... isnt this like that lonely little cory in my example?

Given a full shoal to meet their social needs will make them happier and healthier, while they will also need more space, hence the tank requirements.

(Also, spruce pets is not a helpful source. Ill trust it better once it stops telling me a male dwarf gourami is female :p )

Clearly, your problem is you are using sites that obviously have no factual knowledge of the subject. Who is the biologist/ichthyologist behind the information on Spruce's Pets? And yes, if they are promoting misinformation they are wrong.

And let me set the record straight...this has nothing to do with me being right or wrong. And opinions are of no relevance either. My opinion is frankly of no more importance than yours or anyone else's. I have studied fish physiology, species and habitats from the educated ichthyologists and biologists and microbiologists. They all agree, and I learn from them. When I am sick I go to a professional doctor and I take his/her advice. That is the only assurance of probable reliability.

They all agree with what precisely? I can't see signatures on my phone but I would like to read the observation if you could copy the link for me?

Theres recommendations for minimum shoal numbers for a reason. If the minimum to feel safe and content isnt met, is it really keeping them properly?

I could put a single cory fish in a 5 gallon. Sure, the size of the single fish would work fine for the bioload. But now the cory isnt kept in enough numbers, so doesnt feel secure and will get easily stressed. The fish may eat, swim, "play" every day and look totally normal, but stress can be internalized and effect the fish's immune system and should an illness come up, stress will make it so much worse.

So the recommendation from experience is to meet the minimum requirements for their social needs too. If its recommended to keep gold barbs 8-10 minimum, and are then only keeping them in 6... isnt this like that lonely little cory in my example?

Given a full shoal to meet their social needs will make them happier and healthier, while they will also need more space, hence the tank requirements.

(Also, spruce pets is not a helpful source. Ill trust it better once it stops telling me a male dwarf gourami is female :p )
the difference with what I am trying to say is that nobody, has ever recommended to keep a single cory, everyone says to keep them in groups of 3 or more, however every single website, lfs worker, fishtubers such as dws darius, cory from aquarium co op , and plenty others I have been to has clearly stated that the min amount of gold barbs (or any barb)
for them to be happy is 5-6 so in this case, I've met the min requirements, I understand that byron is an experienced fish keepers, I can tell by looking at his profile, but you cant expect me to disregard 90 percent of the internet and lfs workers who claim that my conditions are ok for the fish, just because 1 person on a fish forum disagrees with me, again, not trying to hate, but surely you must understand what I'm trying to convey

They all agree with what precisely? I can't see signatures on my phone but I would like to read the observation if you could copy the link for me?

When you spend the amount of time in research that I have over the past 12 years, you will quickily recognize the authorities; it becomes obvious that there is a consistency of information/data from these individuals. We can (and should) learn that trust can be given to the professionals who have made this field their life's work. That is not to say that scientists always agree, of course they do not. But when one of them publishes the others read, and peer review results in factual data that can be taken as reliable.

The subject of fish husbandry is complex because the physiology of a fish is complex. The relationship of a fish to its aquatic environment is more significant than the relationship of any terrestrial animal to its environment. Freshwater fish species have evolved to function at their best within a fairly limited environment. Environment includes not only the water parameters and every aspect of the physical environment, but numbers and other species. The fish has evolved expectations programmed into its DNA. You and I cannot see these; but we are foolish not to trust those who have learned how to know.

Whatever floats your boat, then. But 3 is also not a good number for cories either :p it was an example to explain stress when not meeting social needs.

Seriously fish is put together by actual scientists. Its got reliable information.
90% of the internet is based off of people just trying to go viral. It's easy to make a website and spew all sorts of stuff. I dunno, but i was always taught when researching to look for scholarly articles, look for proper citations. Verify your sources.

the difference with what I am trying to say is that nobody, has ever recommended to keep a single cory, everyone says to keep them in groups of 3 or more, however every single website, lfs worker, fishtubers such as dws darius, cory from aquarium co op , and plenty others I have been to has clearly stated that the min amount of gold barbs (or any barb)
for them to be happy is 5-6 so in this case, I've met the min requirements, I understand that byron is an experienced fish keepers, I can tell by looking at his profile, but you cant expect me to disregard 90 percent of the internet and lfs workers who claim that my conditions are ok for the fish, just because 1 person on a fish forum disagrees with me, again, not trying to hate, but surely you must understand what I'm trying to convey

The problem is that the sites you want to follow do not know the subject. I have already explained this. There are trustworth sites and there are those that are anything but, and unfortunately they are the majority.

All this talk about biologist icthyoligists,its like someone telling me even though I have my driving licence I dont know how to drive because I'm not a driving instructor, just because some people arent biologists/icthyoligists, does not mean they lose all there credibility. Many fishtubers do not have such professions, but are still deeply knowledgeable and in my opinion a very helpful and reliable source of information

Is the second paragraph the observation?
I'm going into this fully expecting to be wrong, I am just trying to get the proper understanding of why, like as it stands I'm struggling to make the connection between a lot of what your saying and how it's actually relevant here, at this point im genuinely interested.
To the OP, out of curiosity, what are the actual dimensions of the tank?

All this talk about biologist icthyoligists,its like someone telling me even though I have my driving licence I dont know how to drive because I'm not a driving instructor, just because some people arent biologists/icthyoligists, does not mean they lose all there credibility. Many fishtubers do not have such professions, but are still deeply knowledgeable and in my opinion a very helpful and reliable source of information

You partly missed the issue. Using your driving analogy...you learn how to drive from those who know, not from those who don't. You do not have to be an instructor, but you will be better for having learned from an instructor.

When someone gives non-factual information, they are not a reliable source of information.

Is the second paragraph the observation?
I'm going into this fully expecting to be wrong, I am just trying to get the proper understanding of why, like as it stands I'm struggling to make the connection between a lot of what your saying and how it's actually relevant here, at this point im genuinely interested.
To the OP, out of curiosity, what are the actual dimensions of the tank?
Hi there, the tank is a custom built 20 long the measurements are 31X14X12 these are not exact values and I have rounded them to a whole number for the sake of convenience , but it should get the picture of the size of the tank,

You partly missed the issue. Using your driving analogy...you learn how to drive from those who know, not from those who don't. You do not have to be an instructor, but you will be better for having learned from an instructor.

When someone gives non-factual information, they are not a reliable source of information.
What you are ultimately saying then, is that the vast majority is incorrect?

What you are ultimately saying then, is that the vast majority is incorrect?

I only have your word for what "they" are saying, but if anyone is advising others that it is OK to keep five Gold Barbs in a 20g tank, then yes, they are incorrect and unreliable. They clearly do not understand the species, or fish physiology, or biology.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back