Age old stocking question...

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Nemo2182

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hi all,
Now I know this question has been run into the ground but I have a question about stocking a Fluval Edge 12 Gal. Currently I have 5 guppies, 5 Corydoras Habrosus and about 10 Cherry Shrimp. Now I know some people will already tell me I'm at limit or even overstocked, but using the new rule of extended filtration (changed standard AC20 for a AC30 Filter with AC50 impeller) means I have pretty much doubled my flow rate.

My water parameters look are 0,0,20 and PH is 7.6. I am in a hard water area.

Can I add anymore without being cruel to fish? I do not over feed and do 30% water changes a week, condition of tank is always pretty clear and I have an array of wild plants, mosses and natural rock.

Fish seem happy, and that is my goal to have happy fish, but I would like to add 1 more guppy and I've heard the corydoras like 6+ (even though I know I'm slightly short in the length of tank, but they seem happy enough)

I'm not looking to be hung,drawn and quartered, so some friendly advice

Thanks in advance

Nathan

Welcome to TFF. :hi:

First thing to get out of the way concerns filters/filtration. The truth is that this really has very little if anything to do with stocking. You cannot have more fish than what the aquarium can reasonably handle with or without a filter, just by increasing the size or number of filters. This is because the space the fish has impacts its biological functions. Obviously clean water is important, but water can only be so "clean" no matter how much filtration. The nitrification or biological filtration occurs at a level governed by the fish load and water volume, along with factors like water changes, plants, and compatibility of fish and fish species.

You also need to be careful with flow rate because this is the current in the tank and it can affect the fishes' functioning. In a small space this is made worse because the chance of quiet zones is fewer than in a larger area.

As for the stocking, I do not see any issue with the numbers you have in a 12 g (46 liter) tank. A few more of the cories would be advisable. This is a soft water fish though, and I don't know the GH. The pH is OK here. Nitrate at 20 ppm is high; if this is due to the tank (and not in the source water) larger water changes and substrate/filter cleanings should resolve it.

Last edited:
I agree, the filtration of the tank, has nothing to do with the actual swimming room.

I would go ahead and add 2-3 more Cory's, but nothing more than that.

The hardness is 16.7 dH and 299 ppm (it's given in another thread)

And the tank in question, the 46 litre Fluval Edge, is 43 cm long x 26 cm wide x 35.5 cm tall. (17 inches long x 10 inches wide x 14 inches tall)

The thing I struggle with is I have 5 guppys, and they cling to each other, there space foot print is so low. Even if they split up they have loads of room to dart around the tank, they also love going on bottom and darting out from little coves and gaps under bogwood. I wanted another mid swimmer because it looks so bare. Hence why I wanted one more of each. So how many Cory's is ok?

I still wouldn't get any more mid range fish. Even if they seem to have plenty of scape to swim around, that is not always the case.

I would get 3 more cory cats, as you already have 5. That would bring it up to 8, which is a nice sized shoal.

The thing I struggle with is I have 5 guppys, and they cling to each other, there space foot print is so low. Even if they split up they have loads of room to dart around the tank, they also love going on bottom and darting out from little coves and gaps under bogwood. I wanted another mid swimmer because it looks so bare. Hence why I wanted one more of each. So how many Cory's is ok?

There is more to it, which is what is so difficult to explain. Guppies are relatively active swimmers and need room to move about. The fish impact the water chemistry in different ways, depending upon their size (obviously) but also their activity, their interactive behaviours during which they release chemical signals called phermones and allomones and these build up until the next water change.

The GH is also impacting things here; there are many more "nano" fish that cold be in groups that wold be more noticeable if the water was softish. The habrosus cories are pushing the envelope here because of the GH. Aside from that, assuming sand and considering space, a group of 9-12 would be max. Pygmy cories are a bit smaller, and 12-15 of these, but not both.

I would up the weekly water changes to 75%. At 30% you will get a gradual build up that is undesirable.

I would up the weekly water changes to 75%. At 30% you will get a gradual build up that is undesirable.
Is that amount not going to be too much of a shock to the Cory's and Shrimp? I've heard they are both sensitive to big water changes....

And I will say all my guppies have grown and colours more vibrant since I got them. Not sure if that's happy fish or I'm using good food lol

Trust me I already want a bigger tank, I have the bug now, but my wife says now :( apparently this was supposed to be a cheap tank with a goldfish....whoops

Trust me I already want a bigger tank, I have the bug now,
As do we all, lol.

Guppies are very active swimmers and require a large footprint. I do not suggest you to get anymore at this time. Maybe when you get a bigger tank (and yes, it WILL happen, lol) you can move them over and get more. But for the time being, don't get any more.

As do we all, lol.

Guppies are very active swimmers and require a large footprint. I do not suggest you to get anymore at this time. Maybe when you get a bigger tank (and yes, it WILL happen, lol) you can move them over and get more. But for the time being, don't get any more.
Ok I'm hearing the advise.....But I'm ok to add a few more corydoras? They are difficult to get hold of round my way. There was 2 in last shop only

Ok I'm hearing the advise.....But I'm ok to add a few more corydoras? They are difficult to get hold of round my way. There was 2 in last shop only
you could probably add 3. but no more

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back