After 4 Years I Have A Problem

snowflake311

Fish nerd
Reaction score
Not sure anyone here will remember me. I use to be on here a lot. I still have my 100 Gal and now I am down to one of my rescue Uarus and my pet Severum Nip who is about 5 years old now. I have some other non Cichlids in there too.Ā 
Ā 
Poor nip was looking so bad very stressed and even had HITH. All the other fish including the Uaru still look great and act fine. So I moved Nip into a hospital tank and treated the HITH. Ā He is doing great made a full recovery and I want to put him back in the 100 Gal but I am scared to. My Uaru has become a bully. I have 4 LARGE Silver dollars as Dithers and the uaru chases them and nips at them too. BUt they don't seem to care at all.Ā 
Ā 
Nip is my Fav fish and I don't like to see him stressed and ill. They have been living together great for the past few years till now. They are both about the same age and 8".Ā 
Ā 
The options areĀ 
Ā 
A. Give away my UaruĀ 
B. Give the Uaru a Time out and let Nip run the take then add the Uaru back.Ā 
C. Get another Cichlid to even out the aggression.Ā 
Ā 
What do you guys think?Ā 
Ā 
I got this 100 Gal for NIP I love that fish he is my pet.Ā 
Ā 
Here is my baby Nip this photo is like like 9 months old
Ā 

either A or C, Many people experience this aggression problem even in the biggest of tanks. It is not rare. B would only stress both the fish out

I remember you rescuing the Urau. I would give B a go, if the urau starts chasing again remove him again. If you remember me, I rescue cichlids, I have found it better to have more cichlids to spread any problems.

Thanks guys. Hey star I do remember you. I have been playing with the idea of getting a rescue oscar. But that might be too much fish for my 100gal. The problem is I have to find another large fish I can't get a baby and that's what I find at stores. I could find a good size jack Dempsey .

What other cichlid would be a good addition?

The trouble with an oscar and a bullying fish is if the oscar looses its temper they have a big mouth, unless you find one like chops with a deformed mouth, he is pretty safe with anything. I have aquidens metae and a rainbow in with my urau (I must say the rainbow is not normal, its the most nasty fish I have lol) A JD should be ok, they are pretty placid but wont take sillyness, I have had a JD with severums. Another option would be more severums if you can find some.
Ā 
I always say should be ok, knowing cichlids you can never guarantee.

What about a rescape of the tank? That can often help with situations like this. In that situation I generally take out the aggressor to the tank and totally rescape the tank - so completely change the structures and the outlines in the tank.Ā 
Ā 
It can sometimes help.
Ā 
Wills

I will try the move stuff around and take things out really mess with the tank. I am going to give Nip the whole tank and remove my uaru give him a time out and let nip recover and feel safe. Then I will see how they get along. I might have to let the uaru go after all these years.

I would love to get another Severum but not sure that would help what if I get a female then I have a pair. I know how cichlid pairs can be. I do really want to get a wild Heros notatus Spotted Severum. It's my dream Severum I had one as a baby years ago but a freak tank accident caused me to lose it .

I had a thought today, what food are you using? I only ask because I was having some terrible aggression problems and I ran out of Hikari pellets so used another food and the aggression levels of all the fish on Hikari dropped. I fed hikari again and the aggression levels increased so I stopped feeding hikari altogether.

Hikari is what I feed I will try switching food. It's worth a try.

Well today I moved the Uaru to his time out tank. I moved Nip back into the 100 Gal that I re did the whole thing. He is happy to be home.Ā 
Ā 
I found someone that will take the Uaru. I think that might be best for everyone in the tank. I don't know what to do.Ā 

It is a difficult decision, I remember the state of the urau when you got them and you did an amazing job getting them right. If you feel its best to re-home him then do so, unless the person offering the home is willing to wait until you try changing the diet.

I found a few good homes but when it came time to pick one I could not let my fish go.

This weekend I will add my Uaru back in the tank and see how it goes. I really want to get another severum for the tank. But we will see. I am going to be on the look out for a 3rd cichlid.

Fingers crossed that this seperation and tank re model will help. Oh and I need to switch the food.

I have to say switching food worked wonders on my lot :)

I put my uaru back in the 100gal where my Severum has been .

My Severum nip has calmed the tank. The uaur is now getting bossed around. We will see how it goes after a few days. I still have people interested in my uaru.

Most reactions

Back