African Spotted Catfish - A Little Info Please

San O Fisher

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I just recently bought an African Spotted Catfish and I wanted to know some information about him. Do they do well with another of their own or are they fine alone? he seems to be eating the fish flakes fine, but I dont know if that is because he needs something else. Any information on him would be great as I do not know much about them and I have learned very quickly that the pet store people are very nice, but not the most knowledgable on things. I am also interested in getting a pleco, but i want one that has a better color than a common one if anyone has suggestions - I have a 14 gallon tank with real plants and 7 neon tetras

Identifying catfish (or any unusual fish for that matter) from a common name is almost impossible without a picture, a lot of the time pet stores and wholesalers make up the names for the fish as they dont have a common name within the hobby already. To learn anything about your fish you need the scientific name or a photograph so it can be properly identified.

Identifying catfish (or any unusual fish for that matter) from a common name is almost impossible without a picture, a lot of the time pet stores and wholesalers make up the names for the fish as they dont have a common name within the hobby already. To learn anything about your fish you need the scientific name or a photograph so it can be properly identified.

I just found out he was a featherfin catfish and the store listed him poorly, but it sounds like they do that a lot. I know he is a little much for a 14 gallon, but he is really small right now, and after i move in about 6-8 months he will get a much bigger home. right now I am feeding him catfish sinking pellots and the left over flake food, is this fine? does any one have any other advice about him.
he seems to hide a lot and the only reason I know he eats is because the tablets are gone in the morning and the other fish dont seem to eat them. he has been in the tank for three days, is it possible he will become more active in teh tank over time?

Feed an algae wafer to him regularly aswel. The tank really is very small and he may panic at some point for feeling hemmed in. I've seen it happen and it's frightening to witness. I've found synos grow alarmingly quickly so you may find he'll have outgrown that tank in half that time.
P.

Feed an algae wafer to him regularly aswel. The tank really is very small and he may panic at some point for feeling hemmed in. I've seen it happen and it's frightening to witness. I've found synos grow alarmingly quickly so you may find he'll have outgrown that tank in half that time.
P.

I have been looking to move to a 55 gallon in the next month or two, but I am having trouble finding a stand that I like - when I do I will get it! I want to get a second syno, and a couple plecs! but yes in the month or so since i have had him he is growing faster than i would have thought - i had to buy a bigger plant for him to hide in - he likes his plants more than rocks i found.

Most reactions

Back