African Dwarf Frogs

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
I have an african dwarf frog in a tank with a gourami that got a fungal infection, I removed the gourami and treated it but now I don't know if I can put the gourami back into the tank while it still has the treatment I'm it's system. Any help would be much appreciate x

The first "fish" I ever got was Trevor the frog, I love him. My LFS (a well respected one) said they were happy alone. I will get another one to keep him company next time I am in the shop.

I love ADF's!!!! this is Waldo, he was my first amphibian (i have newts now too) and i never thought i would be an amphibian person until i got waldo! i love him and the newts!!

Waldo
wub.png

DSCN1548.jpg

DSCN1542.jpg

DSCN1906.jpg

and my newts- Hubert on the bottom and Newton on the top!
DSCN2870.jpg

i've got 4 adfs.  3 of them are fat and happy.  the 4th is skinny, skinny and hunchback - very weird   she also has more trouble moving about than the others.  might anybody know what this means?

does anybody know anything about an adf with a hunchback??  Azaezi, maybe you can give me some insight.  (i assume it's a female, with the longer tail.)  She doesn't swim quite as well as my other adfs.  and her abdomen doesn't fill out the same as the others after she eats.  i heard it could be a cyst or tumor.  but i see no bumps under or on her skin.  her spine is actually convex to an outwardly direction.  like an old man.  i have posted this in a couple other places.  i am a little worried. and if there is nothing to worry about, then i'd be glad to learn what i can about it, whatever it is.  so, thanks for your time... happy spring to everyone!

Found this thread months after getting my african dwarf frogs and i love them to bits. Most of the knowledge i have is from personal experience and bits and bobs i have learnt from other enthusiasts. I am probably not the most knowledged on the subject but will try to help.....

Feeding :- Yes, frogs are very docile and could do with much better eye sight so they can easily be beaten to the food by fish. They seem to benefit from the frozen (ice cube lookng) foods such as bloodworm and daphnia etc. I find if you leave the cube in a small bowl of warm water on top of the tank so it will defrost, it seems to be the best way to make sure some gets to the bottom. Before frogs i used to just chuck the cube in and watch the feeding frenzy but if you do that, the fish get all the food.
If after trying the defrosting method you are still having trouble, pour the food infront of the filter outake. I have a waterfall type contraption which naturally forces the food downwards and to also dispurse throughout the lower tank area.

Failing this, or just for fun- Over time and with practice you can actually train your frogs to react to your fingers movements. I started by gently tapping the glass to get the frogs attention. When it comes closer you can try and direct the frog around the tank by running your finger around the outside. Remember, as the frogs have a poor vision i think it works best by moving your fingers slowly, as they may be able to see the shape difference/ movement better. By doing this you can get a sort of routine going by directing them to a regular place where the food is normally forced to go before you put it in.

You can also try to hand feed the frogs but i recommend you try to get them used to your fingers by the above method first. Again, keep the routine of getting them to the established 'feeding point' first.

Hope this helps, Sorry about the spelling (it is late). I log on pretty frequently so if you have any other frog related questions feel free to leave them here and i will try help best i can

Enjoy your frogs

I was just wondering what your frogs were eating in the video above? I'm a new ADF owner and I LOVE them! I'm just having trouble with feeding them. Thank you and this page has been the most informative one I have found!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back