African Dwarf Frog. Injury? Illness?

ncspuppy

Reaction score
My adf had a large red bump on his head. I noticed it late last night. I was tired, but I tried to search online to see what the problem was. Coming up with nothing, I went to bed. So today, I go back to the tank to see if I can take a look at him again, and I can't find him. :( I've taken out all the decorations that serve as hiding places. I do not see the frog anywhere. Do they burrow? Is there any chance he is hidden in the gravel? I know injured animals will hide to stay safe, but I don't see him anywhere in the tank.

It's a 55 gallon tank. There is 1 other frog in there, and several fish. The frogs often hide, but they are normally easy to spot if you look for them. I'm sure he must be in there somewhere, it is a large tank. I'll find him.

But does anybody have any idea of what the red bump is? If I could find him, I'd post a picture, but I can't find him. :(

I found the missing frog.
This is the frog:
injuredfrog.jpg

I found the missing frog last night. I was feeding the tank and then I saw two frogs. I was so surprised, because I thought the frog had died and alread decomposed. I had removed all the decorations from the tank, and thought I had completely looked through the tank. Apparently I must have missed a spot. I cleaned out the tank yesterday, so maybe he came up out of the gravel when I was vacuuming it.

I asked this on another forum and the answer I got was that they do not burrow and if I do not see the frog anywhere then most likely it had already decomposed. And that the frog was most likely attacked by a fish. And that frogs and fish should not be kept together. On another forum, however, the response was the injuries were caused by a fight with the other frog, especially if they are both female. I'm going to try to see if I can sex them. I assumed the fatter one was female, but maybe I should find another way to sex besides size.
So if 2 frogs together will fight, and other fish will bite them, how is it best to keep these guys?

Hi ncspuppy :)

I'm so happy that your frog reappeared! :yahoo:

I've never heard of females fighting before. I've found it an advantage to keep the same gender frogs together because it avoids having them spawn which can be very messy.

I do prefer keeping them in a small tank by themselves to keeping them with fish. They are delicate little things and it's difficult to be sure they are fed properly. If you look at them from the top, they will have a little spot under their arms if they are male. If they are female they will have a bump that almost looks like a tiny tail. From the picture I think yours is a female. :D

Okay. Then I do have 2 females. The other frog has the tail bump too.

I have an unused fish tank sitting in my closet. I think I'm going to set it up and have a frog only tank. I think they eat enough but with the way fish act when it comes to food, it is likely that maybe the bite was from a fish competing for food. I have never seen the frogs fight with each other, but I have seen the fish try to steal food from the frogs. I didn't think they were hurting the frogs , but I guess I was wrong. :( Unless she bumped her head on one of the decorations, (I do not and have never had any of those moving ones, and as far as I know my tank is safe), I'm thinking the injury was caused by a fish attack. I've looked at pages on diseases and illnesses and none of them look like this, so I'm sure it is an injury.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back