African Dwarf Frog Help

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Neptune54

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I got an African Dwarf Frog a couple days ago. It's in a 14 gallon aquarium with four platies, a guppy, and about a hundred cherry shrimp (they won't stop multiplying
rolleyes.gif
). I looked in on him/her today and it has a bright red chin. I don't know if this means its sick or not. Also, tips on feeding would be appreciated. I fed it some bloodworms today and yesterday, but that's it. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

I don't know what the cause of the red chin is, I'm afraid. There is a disease of adfs called red leg, but this starts in the thighs not the chin.

Like with fish, bloodworm should only be fed as a treat. I see you are in the US, so look for HBH frog food. That should be their staple diet. Make sure the fish don't eat it all first, that is the main problem with keeping frogs with fish.

Agree above with recommendations for the diet. HBH in the usa, Zoomed in other regions. Broken up reptomin can work also, but you have to be patient as it is a floating food and fish often get to it first.

Gravel or a sharp ornament could definitely be the problem. These guys rocket down from the surface and are nearly blind so everything in their tank has to be able to support a crash landing. Silk/live plants and sand substrate are recommended.
These frogs also usually do best in a species only tank. They are not competitors for food given their inability to see, they have to sniff it out.

What are your water stats? ADF are also extremely sensitive to ammonia burns. Do you know your readings for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate?

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back