African Dwarf Frog floating please help!!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

stellarrr

Reaction score
Hi, I made an account so I could ask about this so sorry if I am doing something wrong.
I've had two African dwarf frogs for about three months, and within the past 4 days, I've had the female floating at the top. So far I've done tons of research and she's not bloated or doesn't have any cloudy eyes. I've noticed they have both been shedding so I will assume that's fine because the other one is acting normal. She occasionally goes down to the bottom, but then goes back up and floats and I see her struggling against the sides of the tank. There's also one thing but I'm not sure if this is the case; my dog ate all of their food, so I had to quickly order some from Amazon but it didn't come after 5 days. I normally feed them once a day and it really worried me that they didn't get to eat for that long. I assumed they would just forage the extras off the ground, but I haven't seen the food disappear.
Anyways please help with the floating every form I've seen has said that the frog is taking a "death float" and these two were a gift to me I'd really not like to lose one:(

Hello, I have been keeping two of the frogs for years, they are still living in a 20L tank, first I would recommend you to give them more varied food, to give them always only this dried stuff can't end well, moreover you mention that there are food remains on the ground, you surely feed too much (once every two days is enough). Under which conditions are they living at you ( how many liters, which other tank inhabitants, do you have plants, which water parameters, temperature etc.)?, please tell a little about this, without that information isn't possible to tell something. Perhaps you should have a great cleannig and water change as a first step.

She actually seems to be doing a lot better
Hello, I have been keeping two of the frogs for years, they are still living in a 20L tank, first I would recommend you to give them more varied food, to give them always only this dried stuff can't end well, moreover you mention that there are food remains on the ground, you surely feed too much (once every two days is enough). Under which conditions are they living at you ( how many liters, which other tank inhabitants, do you have plants, which water parameters, temperature etc.)?, please tell a little about this, without that information isn't possible to tell something. Perhaps you should have a great cleannig and water change as a first step.
, I saw her at the bottom of the tank this morning with the other little guy. They live in a 5 gallon tank with eachother and no one else. I am not sure the names of the plants but they are relatively tall, and I have clover like plants on the bottom for them to hide where they spend most of their time. The temperature is 68 f, I just changed their water and filter about a week ago, and they seemed fine after it. Ive never done water testing before so i’m unsure of those factors(I may pick up a kit this week).I do have a bigger tank that I could move them into but it already has two mollies and three green corys. I wasn’t planning on it because the cory’s are bottom feeders and I don’t want them not having enough food and such.

What do you recommend I feed them? I heard of frozen and thawed blood worms but I don’t know of a reliable source to get them from. I do feed my betta fish dried bloodworms so do you think I could try that?

Welcome to TFF

Get one of these ASAP, test for ammonia, nitrIte, and nitrAte, and post the results here

Just now I have fed the two frogs with fresh sea fish I froze last year myself, mine like to eat it (currently wolfeel), you can try also beefheart, turkey heart, but not too much, however now and then, mine eat a lot of Tetra reptofrog what is little pellets, but you should try to always alternate, if you can't buy the frozen fish food it's a pity of course. The frogs to feel well would like litlle acid and soft water, not hard and with PH over 7, 6,5 or 6,0 is all right (mine 5,8 or so), a lot of rapid growing plants to have a dense underwater forest should be aimed at, mine are living with a lot of shrimps Neocaridina, some of them very fat, surely they make a fantastic food (no babies to be seen), for the garbage man I instaled from the beginning some Melanoides snails which are still present in this tank.

20 litres of water is really too little, yours 18 liters are practically the same, less really can't be, if you are living in the country and there is nature, it could be possible to collect some living food, it depends and I do not know how about you, you should have some little idea and be cautious because of possible parasites and deseases, but if you can it's the best solution maybe.

So I did an ammonium test last night because that's the only kit I could get, and the levels were super high so I got bottled water(polar spring) and did around a 70 percent water change. The female is fine now, swimming normally at the bottom. The male is now the one swimming at the top, and it's almost like he's banging his head against the tank walls and trying to get out. I read this may be because of stress, but I don't know what from. I'm going to test ammonium levels again tomorrow and see if they go down from the bottled water, and if not ill do another water change. At this point I think it may be some disease and the female had it a couple days ago, and now the male has it so I am hoping he can get over it.

Do you have some filtration? Got some photos? You can't have a big amount of foods-leftover after feeding, that's your problem. And the temp. is too cold.

you don't have to feed so often they may bloat. and ADF floating Is COMPLETELY natural they're just relaxing. and for the struggle swim, the filtration may be too strong, and they just are really clumsy swimmers and kinda goofy. some of the funniest aquatic animals is the hobby really.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back