Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

African Clawed frog tank mates?

Discussion in 'New to the Hobby Questions and Answers' started by NatashaHodnett, May 23, 2019.

1. NatashaHodnett

NatashaHodnett New Member

hey all! I’m relatively new to fish keeping, just under a year now of experience. I currently have a 75 gallon aquarium with an aqua clear 110 an aquaclear 70, and a bubbler. It’s currently housing my 3 adult dojo loaches (not quite full grown but decently sized) 3 Yoyo loaches (medium ish size), and a few snails (I’m aware they may become snacks). Anyways... I recently came across an aquatic frog that needed a new home who was also missing a foot so I figured why not (I thought he was a dwarf frog so I planned on keeping him in my 35 gallon but when I saw him I realized he’d need larger) but turns out he’s an African clawed frog and much larger than I thought. I love my dojo loaches to death so I guess I’m just wondering if they will do all right together? Will the frog hurt my dojo’s? I would hate to have to rehome him after just taking him in, he’s such a sweet little guy. (I’m also aware the 75 gallon is too small for the fish when they reach their adult size and I do plan on upgrading to a 150 gallon ASAP)

2. Colin_T

Colin_T Member

Hi and welcome to the forum :)

Frogs should be kept in a single species tank without fish or shrimp because the frogs will eat anything that fits in their mouth. And if the fish get sick and need treating, the medications usually kill the frog.

Dojo Loaches (aka weather loaches) will be fine in a tank that is 4 foot long or longer.