Advice: Two filters in 50 gallon? Too much filtration?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

I have one Bolivian Ram and one BN Pleco in my Tiger Barb (5) 29 gallon tank

At 367ppm that is a lot of RO water to bring it down to soft water. Well water here is around 245ppm but I lucked out and have lake water that goes through the city's RO plant and is reduced to 134ppm before I add RO water. If you are going to try RO water pick up a hard water pen meter, I use one and it is very accurate and easy to use. Cost me about 10 USD on E-bay

Totally agree, too many people spend too much money on expensive filters and replacement cartrides when a simple sponge filter does just fine for far less cost
Well, the sponge filter is an exceptional bio-filter as evidenced by so many large fishrooms that run nearly totally on air driven sponge filters. But the sponge filter does fal short on mechanical filtration. And as a matter of fact, all of my HOB's AND my canister filter are filled completely with sponge material as it offers great mechanical as well as biological filtration, cleans easily, and lasts forever and a day. Oh I use sponge filters as well, but more manual 'stuff' removal is required.
Edit: the real "sin" is the cartridge HOB filter where the cartridges are the consumable cash cow for manufacturers!

A common pleco needs a 200gal plus unfortunately, keeping them in tanks smaller than this will stunt them which is detrimental to the fish's quality of life and health.

I would instead look to rehome this guy...

Go with a Rubberlip pleco as they can take your water hardness and are suitable for your tank size. The catch with them is they need high oxygen levels and a bit of a current in the tank. But tiger barbs would be fine with the current too.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back