Advice On Tanks And Stocking

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Patsy

Reaction score
Hi everyone, as it is coming up to Christmas, I thought that I would surprise my partner by getting him a fish tank! He absolutely loves fish and fishing it's a huge hobby of his. Already owning a gecko and bearded dragon he likes the unusual pets.

Now, this is where I need the help. I really have no clue with what I am looking at. I'm thinking of the Fluval Edge 46L tank; it's stylish and within budget. I am preferably looking at a tank under £200 but that could hold a nice variety of small fish. This would also be his first tank, so something that would be easily maintained would be ideal; although he would probably love it so much he would keep it clean, haha!

Does anyone have this tank and any reviews would be greatly appreciated, along with that, what fish you stocked the tank with. I know that he doesn't really want neon tetras but is wanting marine or tropical fish.

Help would be greatly appreciated!

Hiya! Sounds like a lovely gift, so long as you're both ready for the responsibility. :)

He or you needs to keep the tank clean, usually 25% water change each week with vacuuming the substrate. If you don't think this can happen then I'd advise against getting fish.
Sorry if that sounds harsh at all. I'd hope that you'd be up to it though as really it doesn't take much time at all (it takes me an hour-hour & a half to clean my 4 tanks) & it is really worth it.

I have not had this type of tank so can't say anything about it, sorry!
Recommend you to get the largest you can fit though, it'll give you more variety in your stocking choices, although this size you can still do something lovely with.

Lucky guy!

I have a much smaller Fluval edge (8 gal) and it's a great tank. The only negatives are the shape of the aquarium.
Because of the beautifully unique shape, the glass can be tricky to clean, and it's difficult to stick your arm in and move things around sometimes. But as long as you use an angled gravel vac like the ones they sell you should be fine! 
The zero water line also means that it is very noticeable when your water level dips even the slightest bit, as you will get lots of bubbles under the glass. But this also serves as a nice reminder to clean the tank and do weekly water changes, so a bit of a blessing in disguise!
The shape also means that there can be a sort of mirror effect for the fish, so I wouldn't recommend placing a more aggressive fish, like a gourami, in the tank simply because they will probably injure themselves trying to fight their reflection. 

I suggest trying freshwater before you try marine, simply because freshwater has a lot less that can go wrong! When you start looking into marine, you will most likely be dealing with invertebrates, which are more sensitive to fluctuations in temperature etc. (Marine is also significantly more expensive to stock/upkeep than freshwater is!) 
As far as good freshwater species go, you should check out the species lists posted on the site and read up on some of them! Every species needs different things so it's best to have an understanding of what you want in the tank before you start putting things together.

Best of luck!

what!?! I posted a reply hours ago when there were not any there yet! now its gone!      oh well......
I have not had this tank myself but it looks really cool.
If it was me giving the gift (and you are a really nice person getting your partner a whole aquarium.I wish someone would get me a new tank!) I would probably go with tropical, as it is usually easier to maintain. you could have a nice variety of live plants. as for fish I would go with guppies danios of some sort or something. you could also have a betta as a centerpiece fish.

hope this helped!

guppy2002 said:
what!?! I posted a reply hours ago when there were not any there yet! now its gone!      oh well......
I have not had this tank myself but it looks really cool.
If it was me giving the gift (and you are a really nice person getting your partner a whole aquarium.I wish someone would get me a new tank!) I would probably go with tropical, as it is usually easier to maintain. you could have a nice variety of live plants. as for fish I would go with guppies danios of some sort or something. you could also have a betta as a centerpiece fish.

hope this helped!
She posted it in two different sections, your response is still there ^_^ http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?/topic/427221-tank-suggestions-with-fish/#entry3615359

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back