Advice On Stocking In Small Tanks

ghent_3rd

Fish Addict
Joined
Sep 7, 2004
Messages
836
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Leicester, England
Going to be having several tanks at the size of 18" x 12" x 12" looking or some advice on stocking and what else could be available. Already thought of some thanks to a great article in PFK from a back issue that I had.

I am going to be stocking several different species, a few suggestions are Pygmy Puffers, the smaller species of Cory, White Cloud Minnows, Red Crabs or Aquatic Frogs and of course splitting one of the tanks in half and having the good old Bettas. Any other suggestions for this type of tank would be great but what I am really hopeful for is advice on the filtration.
 
Oooh what a fab project, are they going to be stacked in an interesting way or dotted around your home wherever there is space? I would love to see a journal for this!
There are several types of micro rasbora available, especially at Maidenhead Aquatics.
Normans Lampeye the ones with the glowing eyelids are good in a planted with dark substrate.
Pygmy cories.
Brackish for bumblebee gobies and dwarf puffers.
Cherry & golden barbs.
Peacock gobies and threadfin rainbow fish for a shimmering colourful tank.
 
It will be much easier to stick to species tanks- a setup like that is great for breeding 'difficult' species. A page I like is

http://www.minifische.de/minifischeE.html
(The translation doesn't work terribly well, but all you realy need are the pictures and scientific names)

A few highlights would be Tatia perugiae, a very pretty driftwood catfish, Badis (now called Dario) which are small and colourful, although they don't really fit into any specific category, pygmy sunfish, Rhinogobius duospilus, various wild bettas and most of the various small gouramy-ish things like spiketail paradise fish and liquorice gouramis.
 
Never thought of a journal to be honest. They are going to be stacked up from flooor to ceiling in a rack that is being built by my sister's boyfriend who is a legend with a drill and a bit of a timber!

Thanks for the ideas guys, can't wait to start on the project to be honest.
 
I threw out some ideas for filtration in your other topic. There are a couple of ways of going about it. I love racks, real efficient to work on.
 
Really having to think outside the box on this now people. :blink: Think I have sorted the heating and the filtration but then it hit me......tank in bedroom, airpump running to power six sponge filters, my 2 kids that stay over in my bedroom once a week, sleepless nights!!!!!

Amazing thought that I just seen on another topic is to put the airpump in the attic directly above my bedroom!!! :hyper: What an absolute legend idea from somebody that is. Get it set up in the loft and run the airline back through a hole in the roof and there we have it. 1 "silent" air-pump, I get to start keeping fish again and the kids get a good nights sleep, what more could a man wish for!!!! (well a big enough tank for a red-tailed cat would be nice :blush: )
 

Most reactions

Back
Top