Advice on my project

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Dave

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Ok, Some of you may have already heard me raving on about me wanting to move my 300l tank. Well ive been waiting on a three foot tank that someone was going to borrow me. But he is on holiday and I can't wait any longer.

So I do have a 24x12x18" Tank. Im thinking of putting all my fish in here just untill I move the big tank. But they could be in here for a couple of days, as Im going 2 change the subtrate and add more rocks and things. I am also planning on keeping as much of the water as possible ( So buckets at the ready).

Do you think my fish will be ok in the 2ft er, or should I wait for the 3ft tank?

I have

2 Angels (3 1/2")
2 Pims (3")
1 Upsidedown Cat (2 1/2")
1 Plec (5")
1 Ghost Knife Fish (3")
2 Puffers (1")
2 Guppys

What do you think. ;)

:*) Sorry i posted twice

Can you not do the move and put the fish back in the same day,i have done this a few times over the last couple of years and have just put the fish and tank water in the bath tub,moved the tank and then put the whole lot back in. Its a lot of work but a lot better for the fish.

BTW do you relise how much water 300 litres is? That ammount of water will fill the average bath tub up to the overflow so if your thinking buckets your going to need loads.

If you do go with the bath tub idea then remember to give a really good clean with a mild soap solution and then rince it really well before adding the fish.

I think you will be ok as long as its short term. You should run the filter on the 24"er so you keep those bacteria alive. And just siphon water from the big tank to the 24"er. That will hold much of your water. You could always pick up one of those big rubbermaid tubs, go for about 10 bucks and hold a good 20-30 gallons.

Hi Dave

The fish should be ok in the 2 footer for a few days, but if you can, then CFC idea is the best IMO.

CFC, I was thinking of doing your idea (Im sure Ive heard you mention your tank moves in another post). But my problem is, if I get new sand for my tank, even after washing it thoroughly will it still leave my water all murky (im Thinking). :( If you know that this wont happen or still think itll be ok for my fish to jump back in then let me know. ;) Oh and I do realise how much water 300l is, but I didn't mean just your average cleaning bucket. I have big plastic storage containers at my work, but anyway the bath is a better idea :D

impur: Do you think my fluval 4+ would be ok in th 24"er, I suppose the fish could take up surfing :lol: Sorry not sure what a rubbermaid tub is?

the filter should be fine, just aim the return stream at a wall or towards the surface. Don't fluval canisters have the ability to turn the flow down?

Took this from the hagen fluval 404 canister filter instruction manual.

The Aqua-Stop makes maintenance easy by stopping the water flow, permitting you to separate the hose assembly from the filter in one convenient step. It can be safely used to regulate water flow, without harming the motor or its components.

Use this to restrict the flow and your golden. :)

Thanks impur I might give this a go, but I would prefer to do CFCs idea if this is feesable?

Pufferpack.

I hope you get this message as you replied to my question on my duplicate post. My fault, Sorry!
Anyway about my mix of fish in the tank. I know I have a problem with my Puffers. They shouldn't even be there. Ive had them for a while now and have learnt a bit about them. Thanks to this site Ive learnt they should really be in salt water ( there fig 8 puffers) :crazy: . Although I don't think theres much chance of them being eaten I think I will take them to an lfs where they have a brackish tank. Or I could set one up myself, mmm I feel a little MTS coming on ....Must resist :X
As for the guppys well I blame the missus for that one. She saw them, liked them & bought them...as women do! (no insult intended to any ladies out there, but it is true :D) Anyway so far so good.

Dave said:
As for the guppys well I blame the missus for that one. She saw them, liked them & bought them...as women do!
Never mind fish can always do with a little extra protein :lol:

This is true but I wont tell if you wont :alien:

So any thoughts on the sand situation will it make my water murky or should it still be ok for replacing the fish the same day??

Most reactions

trending

Back