Advice Needed!

Leedsboi86

Fish Addict
Joined
Aug 7, 2006
Messages
868
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Leeds - United Kingdom
Hey everyone!

Need some advice on two things.
First of all this is the tank I'm setting up.
http://www.petplanet.co.uk/product.asp?dep...&pf_id=5006

I have a Nutrafin Testing kit which covers Ammonia, Nitrate, Nitrite and PH.
The problem I have is I have lost the manuals for them, The only ones I can find is
Ammonia, Nitrate and PH so I don't know how to test the Nitrite >.<

If anyone has this kit I would be very greatful on the instructions on how to do it
and a scanned copy of the colour results chart thing.

I have bought a bottle of household Ammonia also and I was wondering if anyone could tell me
in tablespoons(the lil spoon used for mixing coffee etc) how many I need to add to this
aquarium and how often to get a cycle running.


Thanks you!!!
 
I can't help on the test kit because I've never owned one, but I can tell you that a scanned colour chart is no use. It will print (or display on screen) totally different to the actual colours. Your best bet is to ask somebody who's had this test kit before and used it all up.. after you go through three or four test kits you have some spare cards lying around.

The amount of ammonia to add will depend on the strength of the solution. It should be written somewhere on the bottle. To test if the ammonia is suitable to use for cycling, shake it vigorously. Pure solution will form bubbles which will burst within a few seconds. Ammonia with surfactants added (cleaners) will foam up like soap suds. It will usually have like an opalescent or iridescense shining in it, sort of like a pearly white stuff swirling in it, while pure solution will look like slightly cloudy, greyish water.

To measure the ammonia accurately, you should get a syringe. You can buy them from the chemists'.

If you can't find the concentration, start with about two spoonsful and test the levels. That will give you an idea of how strong the stuff is.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top