Advice Needed - Is There Something Wrong With My Sand?

dant1875

Fish Fanatic
Joined
Jan 26, 2009
Messages
123
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Birmingham
Hi all,
I'm using sand as a substrate & I've noticed today that I have three dark patches in it at the front of my tank - I've got MTS that should be moving it around & some of the food I'm using for my Cories contains ash - could it be that? Has anyone else ever had this problem & should I be worried or not?

08032009218-1.jpg

08032009219-1.jpg

08032009217-1.jpg


It doesn't look like much in these pics but it's a lot more noticeable from where I'm sat :lol:

Thanks in advance
Dan
 
its probably a bit of hydrogen sulphide, (anaerobic gas) totally harmless if disturbed, you can leave it as it converts nitrates to nitrogen which gasses off
 
Cool :good: as long as I haven't gotta start dragging all my fishies out & messing about with the sand that's fine - thanks for the fast reply :D

i just lost loads of fish due to that (i think) have you been stirring the sand?

I haven't touched the sand as the Trumpet Snails should be moving it around enough - what happened to your fish??? :(
 
I have sand but my 'diggers' are Goby (check my sig.) They do a brilliant job every night so I never need to stir the sand. I also 'back off' the sand from the front as you normally get black where the sand meets the glass. :good:
 
I have sand but my 'diggers' are Goby (check my sig.) They do a brilliant job every night so I never need to stir the sand. I also 'back off' the sand from the front as you normally get black where the sand meets the glass. :good:

thanks doresy :good: I'll get stirring then :lol:
 
I have sand but my 'diggers' are Goby (check my sig.) They do a brilliant job every night so I never need to stir the sand. I also 'back off' the sand from the front as you normally get black where the sand meets the glass. :good:

thanks doresy :good: I'll get stirring then :lol:
theres no need unless you dont like its appearence
 
I like to tape over the area of the tank next to the substrate, using black electrical tape to prevent light hitting the sides of the substrate. This prevents algae, esp BGA, from getting a foothold there.

Andy
 
I believe it's actually cyanobacteria, commonly called blue green algae.
There's a plant called "Elodia" Egeria Densa which has mild antibacterial properties. Since planting some in my tank I've had perfectly pale sand substrate with no discolouration at all.

Only downside is that the Elodia grows quite quick and needs to be trimmed regular - just uproot it, chop the bottom off with sharp scissors, discard the bottom part and replant the upper part. It quickly grows a new root system, so don't worry about that.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top