Adventurous Amano Shrimp

jonnyf84

Fish Herder
Joined
Mar 18, 2008
Messages
1,119
Reaction score
1
Points
38
ok, i've kept shrimp before but i have set up my first open top aquascape and yesterday i got 8 amano shrimp to minimise algae, i woke up for work today and 1 was stting on the tank stand half dead, it must of been there most the night - is there any way i can stop them from leaving the tank?
 
Aaah, the Amanos. I moved house, woke up the following morning to find one halfway down the stairs! 100ft away.

They climb up pipes and wires, and up any slightly ruffled surface.

Try to keep the inside top of the glass absolutely spotless. Any algae or limescale will let the shrimp grip onto the sides and walk up. You can put things like upside down yogurt pots on the wire, so they get stopped when trying to climb up. Pot has to be outside the water level tho.
 
The main reasons they escape is bad water quality - a spike in nitrites or ammonia - that you might even miss between tests and starvation
They need to be fed regularly aswell as eating the algae in the tank - there are some good shrimp pellets available - they need to be left in the tank for an hour before being removed as they take longer to eat their food

they also really enjoy bloodworm , daphnia , brineshrimp , blackworms , cucumber , courgette and butternut squash
 
i have the filter inlet, filter outlet, heater, air tube (diffuser) and power head - all possible escape routes for the shrimp. theres no way i'm mucking about with yoghurt pots - good idea but i refuse to mess up my pride and joy, over a grand has gone into this tank so i'm not sticking yoghurt pots on the rims :no:

i know these shrimp as well as anybody as i have kept them in most my tanks for years and years, i just wanted to know if someone might have a miraculous tip to keep them in the tank, i was thinkin of something like a smidge of clear sugar syrup round the edges of the glass......
 
If you put up a photo of your tank we could maybe think of a way that doesnt look daft. How low is the water level from the top?
 
If you put up a photo of your tank we could maybe think of a way that doesnt look daft. How low is the water level from the top?

at work at the mo so no can do. its 36x12x18, water is pretty much filled to tipping point, no braces or support beams or anything like that.
 
Twice now, 16 hours after doing a water change I have found 'Harry' (as in Houdini) the Amano in the Bathroom 40' away from his tank covered in carpet fluff but alive! :rolleyes:

I now place a cloth over the tank all the time the lid is off and my back is turned. I also do a head count.
 
Twice now, 16 hours after doing a water change I have found 'Harry' (as in Houdini) the Amano in the Bathroom 40' away from his tank covered in carpet fluff but alive! :rolleyes:

I now place a cloth over the tank all the time the lid is off and my back is turned. I also do a head count.


Good name for him. Sadly mine was rather dried up by the time I found him. They must be such brave little souls. Maybe Harry was trying to take a bath :)
 
Twice now, 16 hours after doing a water change I have found 'Harry' (as in Houdini) the Amano in the Bathroom 40' away from his tank covered in carpet fluff but alive! :rolleyes:

I now place a cloth over the tank all the time the lid is off and my back is turned. I also do a head count.
Thats funny. :lol:

I agree with saz326, he was probably trying to take a bath...lol

-FHM
 

Most reactions

Back
Top