ADF's

tank212

Fish Addict
Reaction score
I just got my first ADF!! Can I feed him shrimp sinking pellets,tropical flakes, or freeze dried bloodworms?

Congrats on your new ADF. I highly suggest feeding him frozen blood worms, many people claim that freeze dried foods will give them intestinal blockage. It's not worth the risk so I feed frozen instead. Flakes are horrible for them, and odds are they won't eat flakes anyways. I'm not totally sure about the shrimp pellets, but I really haven't heard of anyone feeding that to their ADFs.

i've been feeding my afc's freeze dried bloodworm for over 5 years now, sinking pellets can also be fed to them and flakes but most don't like flakes, also tetra make a food specific to african frogs ;)

my adf stays at the bottom never comes up to get the blood worms. I tried some brine shrimp pelletss dont know if hes eating them tho.

Are you housing him with other fish? If so you may been to handfeed him, they can be slow to get to their food so if there are other fish in the tank they might get to it first. ADFs also prefer to eat once it's hit the bottom of the tank. So if the food isn't making it that far down they might not be eating. Your best bet it to wait until you have some time to sit around, then feed them and just watch. If you notice that after 30 minutes he hasn't eaten then I would hand feed. I wish I could give advice on handfeeding, but I've never had to do it so I'm not exactly sure how it's done just that lots of ADF owners have to do it to make sure the little guys eat.

Hi tank212 :)

I like to keep ADFs in a small tank by themselves. That way their food doesn't get eaten by their fishy tankmates. ;)

What I do is feed them live blackworms. They love them and the ones that don't get eaten burrow down into the fine gravel at the bottom and live there until the frogs get hungry. I never have to worry about them going uneaten and ruining the water.

HBH also makes a tiny pellet just for frogs called, "Frog and Tadpole Bites." I feed my frogs a few of them, from time to time, just for variety. :D

Maybe I am fortunate, but my ADF happily munches on any food that hits the bottom. He has never come up for dried, floating flakes/worms etc, but any catfish pellet, algae tab, frozen or live foodstuff that finds its way to the sand, he seems to happily take his share.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back