Adf Won't Eat

n3ont3tra

Lets go Flyers
Reaction score
Okay, I bought two ADFs yesterday and I'm wondering what they'll eat. So far I've tried Hikari Algae wafers with no luck, but my shrimp love them. I also have Hikari Sinking wafers, tetramin tropical flakes, Omega One freeze dried brine shrimp, and San Francisco Bay Brand Freeze Dried Bloodworms, but haven't tried any of them yet. Which food should I try?

Ghost Shrimp? :blink: I just bought 4. They're pretty big though, I don't think the frogs will be able to eat them. Or catch them, for that matter, they never stay still! :unsure: Should I put them in a bowl before I try to feed them?

they will eat bloodworms (live or frozen) brineshrimp and frog pellets. what size tank are they in, they are slow huinters.also food might fall between the gravel and frogs dont do much searching for food. i dont think they will eat ghost shrimp, mine never did.they have small mouths and big bellies. feed every 2 days, bloodworms live, i drop them in and the frogs find them eventually. i have sand substrate.some people remove them every few days and place into a small container to feed. i find this method works, but if a lot of hastle, plus it gives them a chance to escape(by jumping out of the net or whatever)

They are in a 10g tank. I think one escaped, cause the water got low enough for him to jump from my CO2 thingamagic. I can't find him anywywhere, I checked the whole tank twice, taking everything out. I can't get bloodworms here. I have flourite (gravel) for the substrate. I tried a hikari sinking wafer and he moved his head and looked at it, but then he lost interest.

if its escaped, it will die, they cant survive out of water for long. i suggest either removing them into another container,carfully, and add bloodworms in their, maybe using tweezers to wiggle them in front of the frog. maybe put a small plate or something in the tank that the bloodworms can sty on so they dont go into the gravel?
you need to try something soon, as it will die if not eating.they hunt by sight or smell, but it needs to move for them to see it. and i take a while for the smell to reach it.they need meaty foods, cant live of algea wafers or anything like that, bloodwormds, brinshrimp, or even frog pellets are better.

Well, I found the other one, turns out he was in the tank after all. I have no idea where, but he came out. I put them both in a separate bowl last night, and one of them ate. I could only find one this morning and put him in the bowl and he ate, but I think it's the same one from last night.

If you have a pond or know anyone who has one, you can go take a net and a bottle and see if you can catch some live foods for your little frogs to eat- even at this time of year there should be plenty of larvae and critters living in the pond, and your frogs (and any fish you have) should love the live foods plus they'll be free too :good: . You can also pick up live bloodworms as well, i've got loads living under the rocks in the muddy areas in my pond right now :thumbs: .
If you have the frogs in a bowl, make sure it is heated and filtered as otherwise it'll be very stressful for them- they'd be better off in a fish tank if you can secure it properly (even putting some cling film or carboard over any escape areas in the tank will help).

When I feed him I just take a bowl and put some tank water in it then I put some freeze dried bloodworms in it, then the frog. He takes a few bites of the bloodworm and then I put him back in the tank before it gets too cold. One of them came out a few minutes while I was watching and I got a few photos and a video:
10gny3.jpg

10gfrogkf2.jpg

How do I upload videos?
Sorry the pictures aren't very good, my good camera's cord to connect it to the computer is missing

I found the smaller, non eating one and put him in the bowl with the other one and the bigger one ate, as expected, and the smaller one still didn't eat. I don't understand why it's not eating... :no: -_- :unsure:

Try leaving the frogs to settle down more in the tank first- if you have only had them a little while, the non-eating frog may still be too unsettled to eat yet.
I would recommend trying to give them some live foods in the tank (like i said in my other post, ponds can be a great place to find such foods), it could be posible that the non-eating frog may not have yet learnt to recognise dead/prepared foods as food yet and only takes live foods.

How long do you think I have? I might be able to get frozen or live bloodworms on monday or tuesday, because my mom is going to get two platies for my other tank. It's snowing here right now, there's about 3 inches everywhere, I just went out and took a quick look around the yard, there's no water sitting anywhere. I don't know anyone with a pond except my dad, and I'm not going there until Friday, and won't get back till Sunday.

If you can get some live foods monday or tuesday that would be great- its hard to say how long they can go without foods as you've only had them a short while and so don't know how well fed they were are the lfs etc, if they had been very well fed up until recently i would say they could easily go up to a weak without food depending on what their body fat reserves are like.
Lowering the temp of the tank to 24 degree's (depending on what the current temp in the tank is) may help them last a little bit longer as they'll be using up less energy in slightly cooler temps, ADF's have really bad eye sight (they are really short sighted) and sense their food via smell and touch and things rather than sight.
Live foods are you best bet with these frogs, for more info see here;

http://www.fishpondinfo.com/frog4.htm

My mom won't get live foods for my fish all the time -- I've had bad experiences with a gecko. Anyway, she'll get live or frozen this time, but not after. I might be able to convince her otherwise, but are freeze dried bloodworms a good staple?

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back