FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

IndeedAndi

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
Hello, I'm new to the forum but I've been reading various posts for about three years now gaining insight about aquariums. I have a concern that I couldn't find answers to yet. I have a 5gal tank, it's been cycled and running for about 4 years. About a year ago I bought two African Dwarf frogs, one beta fish, and one Chinese algae eater for the tank. They all loved each other and got along nicely and I never had any problems with the tank. Recently I went on vacation out of state for two weeks and told my cousin to feed my fish (I have a 120gal cichlid tank, 55gal discus community tank, and then this 5gal beta tank) when I got back, all my fish were near death and all my discus had died (Yeah... I was crying my eyes out!) My cousin fed my 120 and 55gal tanks ONLY flake food, which I never feed them that but he totally forgot about my 5gal. So my beta died, and my frogs were laying on their backs on the bottom of my tank. I hurried and cleaned all the tanks and got them the food they normally eat and the frogs ate right away and seemed fine. But a couple days later I noticed my frogs were acting weird. They were struggling to get to the top of the tank to breathe. They used to just dart up and down like it was nothing. And they just don't walk the same... Like their legs aren't strong anymore. It's been almost a month since I've been back and the frogs eat normally but they seem weak still. I don't know why. I feel bad for them. Is there any way I can help them? I stacked some rocks up so they can sit on top of those to easily get air, which they do sit on occasionally... But they just aren't the same anymore and it makes me sad

Hi, Welcome to the site.

So your cousin didnt feed the frogs? and theres only a CAE left in the big tank? I wouldnt be asking him to help out on anymore pet sitting! poor fish.
You can lower the water in the frog tank so they can reach the surface easier, also what have you been feeding them since?
They could require a vitamin and mineral supplement, I actually haven't got much experience of keeping frogs (I have looked after them for a friend) but I do a lot of reading and I once came across an article that you can feed them gut loaded insects and also amphibian pellets that have all the goodness they need.
If this fails it may be worth getting them some antibacterial medication just incase....

Just a thought as well, and I don't mean to add insult to injury, but maybe leave detailed notes on what to feed the fish next time and how much. When I left my fish with anyone, I used sticky notes on each tank that told the person when to feed and how much to feed and what type of food so that there was no confusion. I always came back to a healthy tank.

In your situation, I would say they either forgot to feed them completely, or fed them some very unhealthy flake food. To kill all of them in two weeks, it had to be something bad. I've gone a full week without feeding fish and they all have been absolutely fine. Could also have been something on their hands that got in the tank. Hard to say since you weren't there. Keep us updated. Hopefully your frogs jump back!

I feed both tanks a mixture of blood worms, brine shrimp, and forzen algae. The discus I KNOW died because my cousin was feeding them only flake food, and never turned the lights on for them. When I came back all had died but two, and those two were laying on the bottom of them tank pretty much colorless. They died the next day. As for the ADF tank... He didn't know it was there (I don't know how he missed it... But that's his excuse). My cousin taught me most of what I needed to know about fish when I was starting out, he's a hobbyist himself. And I told him "the food in the freezer" but... I guess he didn't care or had forgotten. I have lowered the water level on the tank but it doesn't seem to help my frogs. The noise from the filter is driving me crazy at night too since the water level is so low. They eat blood worms and brine shrimp everyday at night and every couple of days they get the sink able frog food, they don't care for that much, but they eat it if there's no other food. I don't know if it's me trying to find something wrong with my frogs or what, but one frog seems darker? Like he has black speckles on his body that I hadn't noticed before. I don't know if that's normal.

The discus tank is no longer a discus tank either. I loved them... So sooo much. But their care was expensive, so I'm keeping it a community tank. I've got 10 roselines, 10 neons, 2 angelfish, and two rainbow fish. It's sad not to see my beautiful discus in there... But they were eating me out of house and home. Haha. I was wondering how my beta would do in tank that big with those fish, if anyone has any experience. I saw a very beautiful beta that I wanted, but the beta I bought is unique to me. He's light pink with red spots on his fins with a soft blue glow throughout his whole body. So I can't get rid of him.

Sorry about the frogs! I've had them before and they are pretty hardy. I agree that you could possibly get them a suppliment of some kind to help them out if they're weak. If they're eating that's a good sign. I hope you get their health back on track and good luck with the community tank

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back