ADF Fungal Infection?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Guzmane1992

Reaction score
Hey all, hope I can get some help with this. My ADF has been hiding behind the filter for about a week and a half now, but would come out to eat and was very lively if I lightly prodded it out from behind the filter. I just figured this was their favorite hiding spot.

However, today I noticed it was swimming a little funky. I took it out of the water to see it had red spots with tiny white dots in the middle, almost reminiscent of a human pimple, and white tumor-like growth by it's right eye (hard to see in the picture, but it's there). From what I can tell, this seems to be a fungal infection. Or can anyone else tell me what it might be? The poor guy has officially started what I think is his death float.

I diluted hyrodgen peroxide to 50% using water and applied it to the affected areas using a Qtip, but it didn't help and I have no means if getting out if the house to find other treatments.

It would appear this guy is a gonner, unless someone can recommend emergency treatments, and should I purchase something to disinfect the rest of the tank? I have 2 other ADFs that seem very healthy, 1 bamboo/flower shrimp, 1 yoyo loach, and 3 guppies. Everyone seems fine and happy.

Attachments

• 20210223_111455.jpg
    20210223_111455.jpg
    211 KB · Views: 95
  • 20210223_111535.jpg
    20210223_111535.jpg
    134.1 KB · Views: 94
What's the pH, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate (in numbers)?

Pink skin and white patches over the body usually indicate a water quality problem. Try doing a 75% water change and gravel cleaning the substrate every day for a week. See if it helps.
Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it's added to the tank.

Most chemicals and medications kill frogs so clean water is about all I can suggest.

If the water is good and you need to try something, Triple sulpha (Tri sulfa) is about the only thing I can think of that might be safe for frogs. But I have never used it on frogs so can't be sure, but it is safe for scaleless fish so might be ok on frogs.

What's the pH, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate (in numbers)?

Pink skin and white patches over the body usually indicate a water quality problem. Try doing a 75% water change and gravel cleaning the substrate every day for a week. See if it helps.
Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it's added to the tank.

Most chemicals and medications kill frogs so clean water is about all I can suggest.

If the water is good and you need to try something, Triple sulpha (Tri sulfa) is about the only thing I can think of that might be safe for frogs. But I have never used it on frogs so can't be sure, but it is safe for scaleless fish so might be ok on frogs.
Thank you for the reply, but my little buddy has passed. I found a group on Facebook where I was approached by a veterinarian/researcher. They're currently researching this disease at Washington State University. So I sent my guy in a sample container covered in rubbing alcohol for further research to the university's veterinarian school as she asked. According to her, she believes what my frog had is a new, underresearched infection.

My water parameters were 7.4 pH, 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, 5.0 ppm nitrates. She has since informed me to test the water several times a day and keep a very careful eye on my surviving frogs. Luckily, my biggest frog is thriving, with no abnormal behavior, but the little guy is starting to act like the frog that died. He is hiding behind the filter when he is normally all over the tank being a spastic, funny little guy. The frog that died did this for about a week before dying. Just going to keep an eye on my tank.

I have requested the results of the lab be forwarded to me, so I will update this thread with their findings! Hopefully I can help other people save their little buddies.

Try doing daily water changes. It will dilute any disease organisms in the water and might help.

Your pH, ammonia, nitrite and nitrate ad perfect. Nothing to worry about there.

What are you feeding them?
Perhaps vary the diet and add a vitamin supplement to the food. It might help them build up some resistance to the disease.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back