Added Too Much AquaSafe?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to enter! šŸ†

BruhNato

Reaction score
Heyo, this is my first post on here because Iā€™ve been worried about something.
I have a 10 gallon tank currently waiting for active filter media to cycle, and I added in some AquaSafe from tetra. On my bottle, I swear it said ā€˜add two teaspoons for every ten gallonsā€™, so I added in two teaspoons. But when I was looking it up, on their website is said to add 1 teaspoon for every ten, so now Iā€™m worried I overdosed. I have plants in the tank, and no fish so far, so Iā€™m concerned about the future fish and plants. Iā€™ve heard that itā€™s difficult to overdose on dechlorinator, but I figure I should ask yā€™all to see if you guys think everything will be alright.

Heyo, this is my first post on here because Iā€™ve been worried about something.
I have a 10 gallon tank currently waiting for active filter media to cycle, and I added in some AquaSafe from tetra. On my bottle, I swear it said ā€˜add two teaspoons for every ten gallonsā€™, so I added in two teaspoons. But when I was looking it up, on their website is said to add 1 teaspoon for every ten, so now Iā€™m worried I overdosed. I have plants in the tank, and no fish so far, so Iā€™m concerned about the future fish and plants. Iā€™ve heard that itā€™s difficult to overdose on dechlorinator, but I figure I should ask yā€™all to see if you guys think everything will be alright.
Do a 50% water change if your concerned but I donā€™t know if the dose will hurt or not

Since there are no fish in the tank yet, I wouldn't worry. But once there are fish, you need to try and add the correct amount. Everything added to the tank water gets into the fish, so we need to keep these additives to a minimum.

Tetra's US website for Tetra AquaSafe Plus says 1 teaspoon (5 ml) for 10 gallons. But UK sites have a product without the word 'plus' and Tetra's UK website says 5 ml per 10 litres or 2.6 gallons. It seems there are 2 products with different dose rates - does your bottle have the word 'plus' on it?

Since there are no fish in the tank yet, I wouldn't worry. But once there are fish, you need to try and add the correct amount. Everything added to the tank water gets into the fish, so we need to keep these additives to a minimum.

Tetra's US website for Tetra AquaSafe Plus says 1 teaspoon (5 ml) for 10 gallons. But UK sites have a product without the word 'plus' and Tetra's UK website says 5 ml per 10 litres or 2.6 gallons. It seems there are 2 products with different dose rates - does your bottle have the word 'plus' on it?
No, it doesnā€™t have Plus on it

just checked the bottle and it does say 2 teaspoons per ten gallons. Hereā€™s the picture

Attachments

• 21B697A3-6B53-4554-A565-77E5920B38AA.jpeg
    21B697A3-6B53-4554-A565-77E5920B38AA.jpeg
    210.7 KB · Views: 52
In that case, use what it says on the bottle. The website is for the AquaSafe Plus which may be a different concentration from the AquaSafe without the word Plus.

However, it still contains polyvinylpyrolidones and organic hydrocolloids. These "stimulate the slime coat" and many of these chemicals also coat the fish's gills which is not good for them long term. Once you've used it all can I suggest using a different water conditioner. Depending whether your water has chlorine or chloramine added, either API Tap Water Conditioner (those exact words) for chlorine or Seachem Prime for chloramine. You can tell which you have by testing your tap water for ammonia. If it's zero, you have chlorine; if there's a small reading, you have chloramine.
Once you have fish and are doing water changes, you need to add enough water conditioner for the new water only. 1 ml syringes are ideal for measuring small amounts.

In that case, use what it says on the bottle. The website is for the AquaSafe Plus which may be a different concentration from the AquaSafe without the word Plus.

However, it still contains polyvinylpyrolidones and organic hydrocolloids. These "stimulate the slime coat" and many of these chemicals also coat the fish's gills which is not good for them long term. Once you've used it all can I suggest using a different water conditioner. Depending whether your water has chlorine or chloramine added, either API Tap Water Conditioner (those exact words) for chlorine or Seachem Prime for chloramine. You can tell which you have by testing your tap water for ammonia. If it's zero, you have chlorine; if there's a small reading, you have chloramine.
Once you have fish and are doing water changes, you need to add enough water conditioner for the new water only. 1 ml syringes are ideal for measuring small amounts.
Yes agree : more important question : Why are you using it?

I've just noticed the bottle says

Tetra AquaSafe should be used .......with monthy partial water changes......

MONTHLY šŸ˜²

Water changes should be done weekly.......

Most reactions

trending

Back