ADA 60F v2.0

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Some otos would have a great time in there! As would the shrimp. What shrimp and fish are you planning to get?? Or does it depend what's there on the day, since you like the thrill of the unknown and the hunt? :lol: ;)

Some otos would have a great time in there! As would the shrimp. What shrimp and fish are you planning to get?? Or does it depend what's there on the day, since you like the thrill of the unknown and the hunt? :lol: ;)
Haha! I'm not sure yet it might be an on the day thing from a short list. Safe route is Emerald Rasboras and I do want some shrimp in there but will have to see whats there, some live bearers could turn my head, as could some good dwarf puffers but not sure either way.

Wills

Ahhhh I ruined this tank tonight :( Loads and loads of biofilm from the wood coming out so I did a water change and tried to scrub as much of it off as I could and in the process uprooted about 90% of the plants, which led me to realise that I need more sand in over the bags to weight the plants in now.

I didnt get chance to do the sand because by the time I realised I was already sort of replanted.

Plan is at this stage - take it apart at the weekend scrub all the wood clean out of the tank, put more sand in, hardscape back in, plants re planted. I think this wood is going to keep giving bio film so need to get some livestock in too. Still dont know what I want but will likely get some amano and cherry shrimp as a start. Will likely pick up some regular valis when I go too as the nana stuff is struggling and getting wrapped around the biofilm, I think some regular val will really help.

Wills

Aaaahhh dude, I'm sorry. It was looking so good! But easily done, especially if you're battling the biofilm without livestock. You can get it looking just as good again, if not better! I know it :)

So today was the day and it went pretty well - put Mortimer & Whitehouse Go Fishing in the background and had a thoroughly nice afternoon :)

This is the tank before as you can see the biofilm is more than a bit problematic...
Screenshot 2022-07-17 at 17.02.35.png

This is during, I got the extra sand and added the hardscape in first and filled the tank as I knew it would be dusty as I didnt wash the sand and I'd added a load more dragon stone which I really like. So I left the filter run for about 20 mins and it cleared up nicely the wood is in a slightly different config but I like it more now.

Screenshot 2022-07-17 at 17.05.54.png

And then I got to this, I've added some regular valis to the left as it does well in my water and I wanted that side quite dense and reedy which the valis nana was not doing. I had to clean off most of the plants of gunk and possibly algae but it was worth it. The Cardamyne looks like it is growing but the bottom of the stems were bare of leaves but had water roots so I have cut it down and replanted it a bit shorter you can see on the before pic it was nearly at the surface and one or two leaves breaking it so hopefully it will come back. I've also added in one of the Anubias plants and some Buce from a 1-2-grow pot, this is at a point where it breaks the water line and also high up on the branches, this may dry out and fail but wanted to try - it may also just fail in the heat wave this week in the UK so might try it again at some point if it does. The new position of the wood has made a great perch for the Monstera too, I was on the fence with keeping it as it kept falling in the water but this could work now.

Screenshot 2022-07-17 at 17.06.23.png

When I got the new Valis I took a wander round and one of the LFS near me - the Maidenhead - has some good priced Cherry Shrimp and Amano Shrimp and I reckon I'm about ready to get them in now. Wanted to try and get back today but wont be able to, might try and skulk off through the week though - probs towards end of the week when the weather cools down.

Wills

So today was the day and it went pretty well - put Mortimer & Whitehouse Go Fishing in the background and had a thoroughly nice afternoon :)

This is the tank before as you can see the biofilm is more than a bit problematic...
View attachment 163293

This is during, I got the extra sand and added the hardscape in first and filled the tank as I knew it would be dusty as I didnt wash the sand and I'd added a load more dragon stone which I really like. So I left the filter run for about 20 mins and it cleared up nicely the wood is in a slightly different config but I like it more now.

View attachment 163294

And then I got to this, I've added some regular valis to the left as it does well in my water and I wanted that side quite dense and reedy which the valis nana was not doing. I had to clean off most of the plants of gunk and possibly algae but it was worth it. The Cardamyne looks like it is growing but the bottom of the stems were bare of leaves but had water roots so I have cut it down and replanted it a bit shorter you can see on the before pic it was nearly at the surface and one or two leaves breaking it so hopefully it will come back. I've also added in one of the Anubias plants and some Buce from a 1-2-grow pot, this is at a point where it breaks the water line and also high up on the branches, this may dry out and fail but wanted to try - it may also just fail in the heat wave this week in the UK so might try it again at some point if it does. The new position of the wood has made a great perch for the Monstera too, I was on the fence with keeping it as it kept falling in the water but this could work now.

View attachment 163295

When I got the new Valis I took a wander round and one of the LFS near me - the Maidenhead - has some good priced Cherry Shrimp and Amano Shrimp and I reckon I'm about ready to get them in now. Wanted to try and get back today but wont be able to, might try and skulk off through the week though - probs towards end of the week when the weather cools down.

Wills
Looking amazing! See? Told you I knew you could get it looking incredible again! :p
I like the new arrangement more as well. Not sure why, it's just more striking?
Did they have different colour neos? Which do you like?

Looking amazing! See? Told you I knew you could get it looking incredible again! :p
I like the new arrangement more as well. Not sure why, it's just more striking?
Did they have different colour neos? Which do you like?
Thanks :) the ones I saw were Cherries which I think I want as they are the most bomb proof and also affordable at £15 for 5 where as some other colours in an other store were £15 for 2.... I've tried Blues in the past but didnt succeed with them.

Wills

As expected the buce on the wood failed and went crispy, it could have been for a few reasons but not quite giving up on this just yet... I just need to find the right plant as it definitely looks better than a bare branch.

Screenshot 2022-07-18 at 13.10.10.png

Tank is looking good today though nice and clear, probably the clearest its been, some bio film coming back already but nowhere near as much as before.

Wills

Got 20 Cherry Shrimp today and added them into the tank - found someone local that was breeding them and got them from her. Some nice adults in the group and a couple of babies, hard to count exactly how many. I do see some as I look in the tank but they are good at hiding! Hopefully getting some Amanos in there at the weekend too.

Screenshot 2022-07-21 at 13.55.50.png

Still really torn on what fish I want in here, logic says Emerald Rasboras but not sure a school is going to do it for me... There are still a few of those platies left that I was tempted by but not sure on them now... Also the biofilm is back on the wood, not as bad as before but pretty bad, hoping the shrimp might help with that?

Wills

Shrimp seem to be doing well this morning, biofilm on the wood looks like its reduced so I think they are helping! Really shocked by how much shrimp poo is in the tank! I can see it everywhere!

The cardamyne seems to be doing well after the clean and trim too, I've got one stem starting to grow emerged through the water surface which I've not seen before and definitely bushing out all over.

Wills

Shrimp seem to be doing well this morning, biofilm on the wood looks like its reduced so I think they are helping! Really shocked by how much shrimp poo is in the tank! I can see it everywhere!
Shrimp have a high metabolism and eat heaps and poop heaps.

Shrimp have a high metabolism and eat heaps and poop heaps.
They are getting through the biofilm in the tank really well now so makes sense :) Never been a 'shrimp guy' before but much cooler than I expected!

Hmm now I'm thinking of making this a shrimp tank, get some amanos, maybe some bamboo or vampire etc? I know nothing about them so need a read but hmmm...

Wills

This is the run of worktop that this tank sits on - the more I look at it the more the right hand side needs something on :) Need to measure up to see whats possible but lets see :)

Screenshot 2022-07-23 at 17.53.51.png

Nice bit of growth coming through now. Bit of emergent growth on the Cardamyne too, I can see more and more stems of the Hydrocotyle Vulgaris now too, especially on the right hand side which you can see when you compare to the last full tank shot.

Screenshot 2022-07-26 at 13.21.02.png

Screenshot 2022-07-26 at 13.20.51.png

Wills

Most reactions

trending

Back