Acclimating Salt-water Fish To Brackish Or Fresh Water

Hello Fish enthusiasts; I was looking for information online on a product for keeping freshwater & saltwater fish in the same tank (water) and ran across this thread. This may be of some interest to you. The product is called "Magic Ocean" and is/was a product produced in Taiwan, it was available in the US, solely distributed by a company in CA called Aquarium Designs, Inc. which is/was located in Hayward, CA. (perhaps a defunct company now as I could not find any info on this company online either). I have one package (unopened in the original box) of this product left which I bought about 20 years ago. I think I purchased about 20 boxes of it from a wholesaler and it was a discontinued product, so I bought all he had left in stock. I thought it unbelievable and bought them because I collect unusual and 'weird' stuff and thought it might be of some real interest also. At the time I was managing a large salt/fresh fish dept at a LPS. I set up a 30 gal tank with the stuff and put in a varied mix of saltwater fish and freshwater fish as a display tank, in order to see how the fish reacted, and also to promote the product. Well, I gotta tell ya, that tank was set up for about a year and I didnt have any unusual amount of fish deaths than I would had it been either a freshwater tank or a saltwater tank. I do remember that I tried some anemones and tubeworms which died within a day or so. Needless to say, I sold out of Magic Ocean within a few months but kept the tank going until I left that job. I held back a few boxes in order to do water changes once a month. I took the last box with me as a collector item. I did call the company and spoke with an individual who explained to me in detail how it was that the product worked. Sorry I cant remember what he told me; at that time it was a bunch of scientific jargon that I did not understand, and that was many years ago. Here are photos of the product and you can read the description and also see the company information on the back panel photo.

One of 5 bags with the "Magic" ingredients..........

Back panel with description and Company info.

Attachments

• magic_ocean2_001.JPG
    magic_ocean2_001.JPG
    71.9 KB · Views: 125
  • magic_ocean2_003.JPG
    magic_ocean2_003.JPG
    67.9 KB · Views: 125
  • magic_ocean2_004.JPG
    magic_ocean2_004.JPG
    64.9 KB · Views: 122
If this is true,why has noone ever heard of this magic stuff? it would be huge.

Even being skeptical, I wouldn't mind getting ahold of it and testing. The part that bothers me, these products claim to work because marine fish only require a high specific gravity and not the ionic content of salt water. If it works at all, I think it would be best case scenario like using aquarium salt for brackish water.

That is a very interesting product.

I know next to nill about salt water fishies, but I was snorkling at this touristy place in Mexico. They had this underground river, I'm pretty sure it was fresh since rivers normally are and it tasted fresh. Anyway you swam down it into the ocean. When you are about 500ft from the mouth of the river you start seeing saltwater fish. The water still tasted fresh. I was really suprised and quite confused as why the saltwater fish where able to go a good 500ft up a freshwater river. Right at the mouth of the river you could see the fresh and salt water mixing, it had almost like those heat waves you see on the road. It was all quite strange.

Most reactions

Back