Accidentally bought a pregnant shrimp, what kind is it?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Finn1231

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I got a shrimp in a hurry while trying to get some snails (I wasn’t really paying attention in my rush, my mistake) and it ended up being pregnant. The guy at petco says they do best in brackish and saltwater which i didn’t believe because they were supposed to be ghost shrimp. I am now thinking she may be a red nose shrimp, in which case the eggs would do best in a brackish aquarium that I simply dont have. What do you guys think it is?

Attachments

• 8D13C6A4-85E1-4A0A-BDEF-E7BE6F1525D4.jpeg
    8D13C6A4-85E1-4A0A-BDEF-E7BE6F1525D4.jpeg
    276.5 KB · Views: 66
  • E4624CE3-8D18-415B-8A73-D6E8D8FCDE39.jpeg
    E4624CE3-8D18-415B-8A73-D6E8D8FCDE39.jpeg
    293.9 KB · Views: 60
  • 97E244F7-E823-482F-9A7F-C4CD842E0B9F.jpeg
    97E244F7-E823-482F-9A7F-C4CD842E0B9F.jpeg
    198.5 KB · Views: 61
Look up Amano shrimp. ;)

I don't believe that these can breed in freshwater, as their larvae, (not shrimplets, like neocaridina species), need brackish/saltwater to survive.
The shrimp itself will probably be fine in your fresh water, though.

EDIT: Last sentence added.

Look up Amano shrimp. ;)

I don't believe that these can breed in freshwater, as their larvae, (not shrimplets, like neocaridina species), need brackish/saltwater to survive.
The shrimp itself will probably be fine in your fresh water, though.

EDIT: Last sentence added.
I got a shrimp in a hurry while trying to get some snails (I wasn’t really paying attention in my rush, my mistake) and it ended up being pregnant. The guy at petco says they do best in brackish and saltwater which i didn’t believe because they were supposed to be ghost shrimp. I am now thinking she may be a red nose shrimp, in which case the eggs would do best in a brackish aquarium that I simply dont have. What do you guys think it is?
That’s a ghost shrimp, not an amano shrimp. Amano shrimp look like this:
5A86029F-8892-43B3-AE62-9F663088B981.jpeg
And ghost shrimp look like this:
773A8828-68E5-4D9B-9216-149B5667F1DD.jpeg

Ghost shrimp will do fine in freshwater, no need for salt of brackish water. They also don’t need brackish water to breed, meaning it will most likely have babies if the eggs are fertilized.

Ghost shrimp...it will do fine in your water but just be aware they don't have a long life span

That’s a ghost shrimp, not an amano shrimp. Amano shrimp look like this:

View attachment 144927
And ghost shrimp look like this:
View attachment 144926

Ghost shrimp will do fine in freshwater, no need for salt of brackish water. They also don’t need brackish water to breed, meaning it will most likely have babies if the eggs are fertilized.
Good call, PK..... ;)

Wait...these are saltwater and freshwater?

I've got Red, blue and yellow shrimps, they survive in both? i plan on buying some ghost shrimp this weekend, what is the typical life span of these and how big do they get? :huh:

Shrimps sold in the hobby are usually either fresh water or salt water.
Some (mainly amano) shrimps have a larval stage stage which needs salt water to survive, but the adults live in fresh water.

If your red blue and yellow shrimps are all colour variants of cherry shrimp (Neocaridina davidi) they are strictly fresh water.

Shrimps sold in the hobby are usually either fresh water or salt water.
Some (mainly amano) shrimps have a larval stage stage which needs salt water to survive, but the adults live in fresh water.

If your red blue and yellow shrimps are all colour variants of cherry shrimp (Neocaridina davidi) they are strictly fresh water.

The red ones were labelled as red cherry shimp, i assume they are all the same just different colours.
I always see these in the freshwater section, the above comments just confused me, starting to question if i know what im doing :lol:
are ghost shrimps the same?

They have ghost shrimp and red cherry shrimp at my local garden centre, got the yellow and blue ones from pier aquatics, i'm guessing these come in many other colours?

Ghost shrimp and RCS are different species of shrimp.

Cherry shrimps in all the colours are Neocaridina davidi.
Ghost shrimp are usually one of several species in the Paleomonetes genus.
Amano shrimps are Caridina multidenta (unless they've changed the species part of the name yet again)

Then there are the marine shrimps which I know nothing about.

Reactions: CRS
Cherry shrimps in all the colours are Neocaridina davidi.
Ghost shrimp are usually one of several species in the Paleomonetes genus.
Amano shrimps are Caridina multidenta (unless they've changed the species part of the name yet again)

Then there are the marine shrimps which I know nothing about.

Is it safe to put Ghost shrimps with cherry shrimps?

My dad had some marine shrimp many years ago red and white ones

I was warned several years ago that the larger shrimps may intimidate smaller cherry shrimps. But as I've never kept them together I can't say if that's true or not.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back