Acceptable fish stand

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

Alex1991

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I just purchased a new tank, 40 litres (10.5 gallons) and I have a small bed side table that Iā€™m going to place it on in my living room, Iā€™m a little bit skeptical of the weight of the tank and the size of the table. Any advice would be great! Thank you.

Attachments

• 46656D6C-8A54-4805-AFCC-CC4EB781BCA5.jpeg
    46656D6C-8A54-4805-AFCC-CC4EB781BCA5.jpeg
    104.4 KB · Views: 80
  • F7CF88A1-A81C-4F22-AC21-C3DAE9D769CA.jpeg
    F7CF88A1-A81C-4F22-AC21-C3DAE9D769CA.jpeg
    117.5 KB · Views: 87
That should be OK. The four supporting legs are under the top as opposed to being at the sides and that is more stable. The sides seem to be sufficient to keep the whole unit firm with no wobble (test this). And the sheet of plywood/particle board under the tank is a very good idea, I do this for most of my tanks. Make sure the stand is level where you place it.

Water is heavy, each gallon weights 10 pounds, so if you have say 8 or 9 actual gallons once the substrate and dƩcor is in (displacing some of the water) that's 80-90 pounds, plus the weight of the tank, substrate, wood/rock. That is a significant weight, but I don't think you will have issues here.

40 litres weighs 40kgs.

the stand it is one should be suitable assuming it is in good condition. Sit on the cupboard and see how it feels. If it can take your weight, the tank will be fine.

That looks like an Ikea drawer set! If so, its pretty sturdy although I've found that if you pull the drawers out and lean on them it can topple forward slightly, although the weight of the tank should prohibit that.

Its a pretty solid design so should be ok as long as you're careful with the drawers.

That should be OK. The four supporting legs are under the top as opposed to being at the sides and that is more stable. The sides seem to be sufficient to keep the whole unit firm with no wobble (test this). And the sheet of plywood/particle board under the tank is a very good idea, I do this for most of my tanks. Make sure the stand is level where you place it.

Water is heavy, each gallon weights 10 pounds, so if you have say 8 or 9 actual gallons once the substrate and dƩcor is in (displacing some of the water) that's 80-90 pounds, plus the weight of the tank, substrate, wood/rock. That is a significant weight, but I don't think you will have issues here.

Awesome stuff, thank you.

Going to fill it up tonight and I will see how it takes the weight.

That looks like an Ikea drawer set! If so, its pretty sturdy although I've found that if you pull the drawers out and lean on them it can topple forward slightly, although the weight of the tank should prohibit that.

Its a pretty solid design so should be ok as long as you're careful with the drawers.

Haha, yeah it's an Ikea set!

https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/p/malm-c...3eyjCwwCCe9b0HR5xzxoCvaYQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Thank you for your advice, will fill it tonight and keep an eye on it.

No problem :) My daughter has the chest of drawers in her bedroom, coincidentally as a bedside table.

I also presume you're another UK resident, based on the plugs in your picture. Welcome :)

Just remember, 1 gallon of water weighs 8 pounds, ( approximately), good luck!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back