Absolute Disaster

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

NickAu

Fish Connoisseur
Tank of the Month 🏆
Reaction score
So 2 days ago I had the pest controler in, As I was not at home I couldn't supervise what the guy was doing, Sure I covered my tank with plastic, leaving only the airpump uncovered.  When I came home everything seemed fine I uncovered the tank went to put the air pump back where it was and noticed it was a bit " sticky"  paid no attention cleaned it up put it back where it belongs.

Yesterday morning, All my fish were dead.

Then I remembered the air pump was " sticky" , I put 1 + 1 together and came up with pest controler, After phoning the guy and explaining the situation he admitted that he may have sprayed the air pump because he saw a small roach on it........................

He and his boss were so apologetic about my situation, The guy was only new, He was only trying to do the right thing blah blah frigging blah, Even offered me $ 100 dollars compensation and 2 free sprayings of the house.

$100 dollars and free spraying, For killing all my fish? I told him exactly what he can do with his " compensation"  I wont go into details, but needless to say the language I used would make a sailor blush.

So yesterday I spent half the day cleaning everything. I threw the substrate out, I put the plants in a tub with ckean water in it, They will be reused in a few weeks maybe, I had to pull my canister filter appart and scrub everything, To be on the safe side I also threw the media out, Scrubbed the tank the hoses well you get the idea and am in the process of re setting up again.

I am devestated my Gouramis were almost at the stage of being hand fed, At feeding time they always came to the front of the tank and would touch my finger with their feelers.

The casualty list.

1 male Gourami.
1 Female Gourami.
6 Hengeli Rasboras.
3 Apple snails.
3 Kuhil Loaches.
4 Striped Kuhil Loaches.
1 Bn Pleco standard. Male.
1 Bn Pleco albino. Female.
38 Red Cherry shrimp, I counted them.
A bunch of those trumpet snails that burrow in the substrate.

This is not over by a long shot, I collected all the fish snails and shrimp, Put them in a freezer bag and stuck them in the back of the freezer as evidence, Tomorrow I am going to see a lawyer.
If need be I will pay a lab to examine the fish and test for toxins, BUT I am going to sue them for every cent I can get.

They killed my fish and I will not let this go.

Sorry for your losses. 

Sorry for your losses, but I wouldn't have left an air pump on. You just can't trust those employees to know to do the right thing. I've lived through roach problems before and they take brute force to eradicate. I erred on the side of caution with my tanks. One day of the tank totally sealed off from the room didn't cause the fish any distress.

Did you ask if his insurance would cover the loss?

but I wouldn't have left an air pump on. You just can't trust those employees to know to do the right thing
I know that now lol.

Did you ask if his insurance would cover the loss?
Not yet.

Its not about the money, The fish are not expensive to replace type of thing, It's about the fish.
Let me try and explain that better.

My loaches were starting to come out at feeding time and would not scurry away when I approached the tank, You know what Kuhil Loaches are like?
The male Gourami would do a little dance when I was near the tank, and the female was right next to him, Both would touch my finger with their feelers.
Even my Apple snails would come to the top of the tank at feeding time and wait side by side for a treat.
The Rasboras were settled in and didnt panic when I put my hand in the tank. And I was hoping they would breed. ( not the easiest thing to do ) but I could dream.
Even the male BN pleco would come to the front of the tank when I took the lid off.
I just got the female albino BN, Was hoping they would breed.
The shrimp were doing their thing reproducing, and the Gouramis did there best to keep the population down.
My tank was working, Lots of softwater fish happily doing their thing in a 2 foot tank.

Money cant replace that.
You know what I mean.

oh my god that's awful 
ohmy.png
 what a horrible thing to be faced with. I can not believe anyone would be so irresponsible! I really feel for you Nick, I'd be absolutely deverstated.

I hope you can recover from this. I know I'd struggle. All the best matey 
flowers.gif

You have my profoundest sympathies on the losses, as well as the emotional distress.

As for the fight, tear into them like a bowling ball covered in razor blades.

Sorry about your fish.  That's really upsetting.

I wouldn't try to sue the company myself but maybe that's just a cultural thing.  We don't tend to sue much in the UK unless we really have to.   Do you think you have a solid case against them?

holy crap...sorry about that!  Im lucky because my bug guy is also a fish enthusiast.  So, he knew right away what not to do.  What would happen had they killed a dog?  $100 and 2 free sprays?  Makes me mad.  Dont they know that they also made the equipment potentially non-usable as well?  I think the cost is more then $100 plus the emotional loss.  So sorry and yet so angry as well.  

So sorry Nick. Typical life to throw bad things at you when you're doing well.
Did you warn him not to spray around the fish tank? Hopefully you can get satisfactory compensation.

Ah, I am sorry to hear of this mate!

Yes, I agree, its not the money, irrespective of how expensive these fish, shrimps and snails were. Its more about the principle and the effort that has been made to make this aquarium thrive. I do know what you mean.

Chin up and take this as a learning curve, easy to say I know but these things do happen unfortunately :/

Btw I do hope they will offer to cover the costs to replace everything you need via their insurance or as a goodwill gesture.

I'm sorry for your loss, that sucks big time.

Unfortunately the company financially is offering a pretty good deal, which is surprising.

They don't get the attachment to the fish, or the time put into raising them, but from a business standpoint I get it.

It's an all around unpleasant situation.

I'm so sorry to hear about your loss! I once poisoned all my fish myself with cello tape  long story short I was absolutely devastated - I can't imagine how you must feel to lose a whole tank! 
I hope your lawyer helps you to sue them big time! Im pretty sure it's common sense to not spay something with toxins if it's connected to a tank containing live fish, no?
Best of luck 

Unfortunately, the law isn't going to recognize the fish as anything other than property. As to the other stuff, like you said, "Money can't cover that." If you are lucky, you may be able to get compensation for the entire set-up and the value of the fish. I'm willing to bet that the exterminators cannot legally be held responsible at all. The contract probably puts the onus on you. Anything that they offer you is a gift and only out of the kindness of their heart. In a case like this, there is no pain and suffering, only property value. I'd be very curious to find out how this works out. Please, keep us posted.

Oh my....

I feel sad for all your loss..

Especially when those fishes have recognised you!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back