About vacuuming the gravel?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

I don't know why you would want to have a full sand base in a tank. I always use gravel as the base so water can freely move through it, then if I want a sand look I top the parts of the tank you see with sand. I never vacuum any tank. Tanks with plastic plant or no plant, I use under gravel filters and they take care of all the fish waste.

You should go to a beach and dig a hole in the sand near the shoreline, you will be the only person there surprised to find water in the hole. I have 0 idea how you ever came to the conclusion that water can't move through sand. Some sands are better than others but it's silly to think all sand is bad. You should read up on the pros and cons of it.

Different tanks have different needs. There's nothing wrong with root tabs if you don't want fish waste laying all over, which can be unappealing to some.

Since I have pygmy Cory's, I wouldn't waste money on gravel because it would tear up their barbels, leading to infections etc. etc., and not everyone wants or needs an under gravel filter. That won't work for every tank. For me, I customize the filtration a lot and need the room to do so.

Putting a finer sand on top of gravel without under gravel filtration can also lead to issues.

But hey, to each their own.

Last edited:
I ran pygmy cats in a gravel base tank, no sand didn't bother them. They bred and were happy as. There is an obsession with sand and corys on this site which is completely un justified.

I ran pygmy cats in a gravel base tank, no sand didn't bother them. They bred and were happy as. There is an obsession with sand and corys on this site which is completely un justified.

That doesn't mean that the gravel can't tear up their barbels or jab their eyes when they dig though.

Maybe you should start a new thread to tell us about why you believe sand is bad? I'm sure you'll get some "justified" responses. =P

Sorry to the OP for helping to jack the thread over sand.

Last edited:
I gravel vac. Since my tank cycled I've not had issues with ammonia. Even after I switched from gravel to sand substrate. You can switch up the area you vac each week if worried.

Try only gravel vac one half of the tank at a time if you're nervous.

That “ obsession” is not just on this site. It is pretty standard knowledge. You always seem to question our forum site. Makes me wonder why you choose to be here.

Because this is a sad forum site with everyone just agreeing with each other. And not asking questions
We did fine before you came and we’ll do just fine should you decide to leave. :)

Because this is a sad forum site with everyone just agreeing with each other. And not asking questions

Ah now come on. There's lots of disagreement. But if some things are established as working, certainly if some things are back by research, then of course you'll find agreement.

And while debate and discussion is great it's a bit of a dig (insult) to say that it's a sad forum where we all agree.

If you look at Unpopular Opinion you'll see lots of areas members disagree on

Last edited:
Why is it that some members can say vacuum. And when others say no don't do that, there is a dispute, let the person who asks the question to make up their own mind. They can research the answer to that question to the cows come home. And make up their own mind.

Are you as a moderator telling me to leave this site and you don't what my input
Nope. I’m asking you to please, quit putting our forum down. We pride ourselves in being a knowledgable and friendly forum. It just makes no sense why you criticize our forum and still want to be part of it. We are open to new ideas when applicable and proven as better methods for our aquatic life. We have some very valuable and experienced members on our site and there is no need for you to constantly criticize us or our forum. If you can contribute in a positive way, we look forward to having you continue on the forum.

Why is it that some members can say vacuum. And when others say no don't do that, there is a dispute, let the person who asks the question to make up their own mind. They can research the answer to that question to the cows come home. And make up their own mind.
You aren’t the only one that said “don’t vacuum”. Your just the only one that once again criticized our forum and members.

Nope. I’m asking you to please, quit putting our forum down. We pride ourselves in being a knowledgable and friendly forum. It just makes no sense why you criticize our forum and still want to be part of it. We are open to new ideas when applicable and proven as better methods for our aquatic life. We have some very valuable and experienced members on our site and there is no need for you to constantly criticize us or our forum. If you can contribute in a positive way, we look forward to having you continue on the forum.
I have never put the forum down. I do ask every member to ask themselves why they do something and challenge themselves to find better solutons to problems. Look outside the box and wonder what if I did that

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back