A Survey Of Non-Aquatic Plants

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

One more article incorporated into PARC. Now we have room for more pins.

llj

A very good article.

There are also some other common species like the Coryline sp. and Cyperus alternifolius and Cyperus haspens (semi aquatic). Dieffenbachia species (dumbcane) can look strikingly similar to Anubias sp. at first glance too!

A very good article.

There are also some other common species like the Coryline sp. and Cyperus alternifolius and Cyperus haspens (semi aquatic). Dieffenbachia species (dumbcane) can look strikingly similar to Anubias sp. at first glance too!

Thank you, you are very kind. Adding new species is part of why I have left this thread open. I did the ones that I commonly see and I would hope that Dieffenbachia would not be put in a tank! But alas!

llj

Ive been told this plant (centre foreground, with pink edges) isnt an aquatic plant :sad: shame, its beautiful! So do i need to take it out now then?

P1030467.jpg

Ive been told this plant (centre foreground, with pink edges) isnt an aquatic plant :sad: shame, its beautiful! So do i need to take it out now then?

P1030467.jpg

Yes, I'd take it out. I see if for sale at the local home improvement store all the time... Not sure on the species, but it was growing very happily in soil, outside...

Or, you could not take it out. Some of the non-aquatics are used in Dutch scapes for effect, but are taken out once they show signs of doing poorly. Honeslty, before you even see signs of decline, ammonia will have already been produced, which would trigger algae. IMO, not worth the risk, especially if you're new to the hobby and aren't very familar with plants.

heres another list with some more for people trying to ID plants, that might not be aquatic.

http://www.plantgeek.net/plantguide_list.php?category=11

Some great info in this thread.. 

Don't forget Mondo grass(Ophiopogon). See it for sale everywhere.
Great for the landscape, not so much the aquascape.

Most reactions

Back