A story about my little Discus

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

If nitrates were high, you probably need to do a larger water change.

Lets say you do a 50% WC and then do another 50% change at a later time. Of the original tank water , you would have changed 50% on the first WC which would leave 50% of the original water. Then the second 50% change would only change an additional 1/4 of the original water for a total of 75 % of the original water. If you did 100% of the water on the first change instead of two 50% change you would be changing 25% more of the original water than doing the 2 50% water changes.
Of course you wouldn't do a 100% WC but a similar logic can be applied if you did 2 25% water changes instead of 1 50% water change.

lets say you do a 50% WC and then do another 50% change at a later time. Of the original tank water , you would have changed 50% on the first WC which would leave 50% of the original water. Then the second 50% change would only change an additional 1/4 of the original water for a total of 75 % of the original water. If you did 100% of the water on the first change instead of two 50% change you would be changing 25% more of the original water than doing the 2 50% water changes.
Of course you wouldn't do a 100% WC but a similar logic can be applied if you did 2 25% water changes instead of 1 50% water change.
I had never thought of it like that, I always do-little ones as I think it is less stressful for the fish. With little water changes I'm moving the parameters back to where they should be slowly, not all in one hit, which I consider as being less stressful.

if you let your water changes go for 6 weeks, then you may have a point as tank water would differ by a larger amount than if you did weekly water changes. 6 weeks is way too long for a WC.
I do a 50% water change every 12 days in lightly stocked tank and my fish do fine after that WC. The tank water would still be close to my tap water so a larger change is fine in my case.

Last edited:
Any how luckily I caught it in time and everything is back to normal
20220807_162733.jpg

I long to one day live in soft water area so that I can keep these gorgeous fish...

None of my cichlid give a hoot about their tank mates; this is the first time i've heard of cichlid actively protecting themselves (other than frys) as a group. I don't have discus but i do have angels and numerous dwarf cichlid species but most dwarves aren't shoaling species so i suppose it make sense they wouldn't protect each other. Angels definitely don't do this-but i have domestic species; maybe wild ones would be more endearing - the domestic ones are little devils though my adult male did readily accept a bunch of young ones. The festums (which are wild); definitely don't protect each other - but they also don't swim upside down; come to think of it none of my cichild swim upside down. That upside down thing is a bit concerning.... are you feeding them booze or drugs ?

None of my cichlid give a hoot about their tank mates; this is the first time i've heard of cichlid actively protecting themselves (other than frys) as a group. I don't have discus but i do have angels and numerous dwarf cichlid species but most dwarves aren't shoaling species so i suppose it make sense they wouldn't protect each other. Angels definitely don't do this-but i have domestic species; maybe wild ones would be more endearing - the domestic ones are little devils though my adult male did readily accept a bunch of young ones. The festums (which are wild); definitely don't protect each other - but they also don't swim upside down; come to think of it none of my cichild swim upside down. That upside down thing is a bit concerning.... are you feeding them booze or drugs ?
It was due to the nitrate level in the tank, I think

Yea i caught that speculation - i don't remember seeing a raw number for the nitrate and i suppose it is possible as discus are particularly sensitive but.... i like the booze explanation better.

Most reactions

Back