A place 4 my questions & ponderings as I build a 34 Gallons (127L) tank

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

@vanalisa I studied Yates but not sure if I did that one. College blur, old now, memory gone.
You are not that old! In fact you are the perfect age.
But I understand about the blurr.

I have to laugh at myself about which things I do remember. Pretty revealing.
I use that quote a lot.:nod:o_O

Goodnight!

I want an internal for this tank because I mainly want something to provide a decent amount of flow. I love sponge filters and use ones in my shrimp and quarantine tanks, but they don't provide much flow.

Even my cheapy internal is doing a good job of adding flow, the cable is just too short to be a permanent solution! I was planning to run an airline from an existing pump to add an airstone (need a different valve to do it) but this eheim filter sounds like it'll provide the stronger flow I want, I can adjust the direction which is awesome, and I can also run an airline into it too, along with filtration. Tank already has a HOB on it.

Personally I prefer cleaning an internal over the HOB. You still need to get your hands wet to clean a HOB since you have to lift the intake and motor out of the water, and it's simpler to replace the media and restart an internal, while my HOB means rinsing a few kinds of media (which is good too, more space for media is nice, it just takes a bit more time) and the HOB doesn't provide much flow across the tank either, just some straight down. I also don't love having the water level lower for the HOB, no need to lower it with an internal :)

I don't think any are 'better' than the other, just different filters for different purposes! Sponges are perfect for my shrimp and guppy tank, my oto tank will be great with a HOB and a decent internal :D

You are definitely right.
The internal filter has its own motor and impeller to suck the water which made it more powerful than the sponge filter.
It can even have spray bar or venturi (to push the air into the tank).

Here is a video of Aquael internal filter just for your viewing.
I like to see the air pushing into the water... at 1:13 (1min 13 sec)

For hang on filter, one of the disadvantage is the water inlet pipe is next to the outlet making it less effective.

Top/overhead filter
will be a better choice than the hang on filter.
The inlet is at the opposite side(far away) from the outlet.
The inlet uses a power head to suck the water up. So, it's very powerful.
And it's the easiest to clean compare to all other filters.(except for sponge filter)
But if you have a lid on top of your tank, probably it may not be suitable.

Just some additional sharing for precaution/health issue.
During the cleaning of internal filters, our hands will need to get into the water to remove the internal filters.
Do ensure that your hands do not have any open wound or cut.
I was reading some articles of parasites infection where the parasites get into the person hand through the open wound/cut.
Some parasites can cause serious problems if they get into your body.

Another potential danger(my opinion only) is the biofilm.
Currently, I'm using Bacter AE to promote the fast growth of biofilms in my shrimps tank.
The biofilms is a major food for the shrimps especially the shrimplets that may not have access to the shrimp pellets.
The shrimplets will be hiding among the plants most of the time and they only get to eat the biofilms on the plants or driftwoods.

But recently I read about the danger of biofilms in human disease.
So, just take precaution if your hands need to get inside the tank.
Usually I do the cleaning and maintenance work during the water change when the water level is low.
I will usually wear glove, or if not I will wash my hands very clean before and after the works especially if I need to get my hands into the water.

For your reading if you are interested.

You are definitely right.
The internal filter has its own motor and impeller to suck the water which made it more powerful than the sponge filter.
It can even have spray bar or venturi (to push the air into the tank).

Here is a video of Aquael internal filter just for your viewing.
I like to see the air pushing into the water... at 1:13 (1min 13 sec)

For hang on filter, one of the disadvantage is the water inlet pipe is next to the outlet making it less effective.

Top/overhead filter
will be a better choice than the hang on filter.
The inlet is at the opposite side(far away) from the outlet.
The inlet uses a power head to suck the water up. So, it's very powerful.
And it's the easiest to clean compare to all other filters.(except for sponge filter)
But if you have a lid on top of your tank, probably it may not be suitable.

Just some additional sharing for precaution/health issue.
During the cleaning of internal filters, our hands will need to get into the water to remove the internal filters.
Do ensure that your hands do not have any open wound or cut.
I was reading some articles of parasites infection where the parasites get into the person hand through the open wound/cut.
Some parasites can cause serious problems if they get into your body.

Another potential danger(my opinion only) is the biofilm.
Currently, I'm using Bacter AE to promote the fast growth of biofilms in my shrimps tank.
The biofilms is a major food for the shrimps especially the shrimplets that may not have access to the shrimp pellets.
The shrimplets will be hiding among the plants most of the time and they only get to eat the biofilms on the plants or driftwoods.

But recently I read about the danger of biofilms in human disease.
So, just take precaution if your hands need to get inside the tank.
Usually I do the cleaning and maintenance work during the water change when the water level is low.
I will usually wear glove, or if not I will wash my hands very clean before and after the works especially if I need to get my hands into the water.

For your reading if you are interested.

Thank you for all this info, you've been so helpful! If the Aquael is quieter, that's definitely appealing since it's a bedroom tank. Not expensive either :D

You're also right that we have to be very careful about hand washing both before and after putting hands in the tank, and it's worth dressing any cuts on hands first, there are some nasty bacteria in tanks, including some potentially flesh eating ones I think. Sure I saw a news story of a fish keeper losing or nearly losing a hand because of a minor cut and a pretty rare bacterium.

I'm not wild about the looks on the overhead filter, and yes, between the hood, tank lights, cables for other equipment etc, I really don't want something else that goes on top. The stocking on this demo video though! :eek: Looks like a ten gallon tank with three goldfish, and two pretty large iridescent sharks! :eek::oops::eek:

@WhistlingBadger my tank is in the dining area of the kitchen do I can cook food and look at them :yahoo: but it's very exciting getting a new set up that I can do right from the beginning without a stressful fish in Cycle.

@vanalisa I found since having a kid my memory just plummeted :rofl: I think it's being constantly tired & having to remember so many kid things that it buses out everything else.

@Lajos_Detari I recently read a story about a guy in they UK who got very ill from changing his tank water. I scrub my hands & arms afterwards with lots of soap & water. Then I use alcohol hand sanitiser on my hands & arms too. I prepare lots of food my toddler and give lots of cuddles too, so I'm careful to be very clean after five had my hands in the tank or at the filter.

Just to share about what happened to my Discus tank last week.

My female Red Melon Discus laid eggs last week. The father is the Blue Tiger Discus.
Two days ago the eggs hatched and I saw about 10-20 fry (very small number).

But when I came back home last night, all the fry were gone.
I guess it could be the father that ate all the fry or it could be they were lost somewhere in the tank and died.
Anyway, I read that they spawn quite frequently.
So, I will have to wait for the parents to have more experience in taking care of the fry.

Just to share my experience...

Attachments

• Discus 2.png
    Discus 2.png
    345.8 KB · Views: 190
Thank you for all this info, you've been so helpful! If the Aquael is quieter, that's definitely appealing since it's a bedroom tank. Not expensive either :D

Yes, actually the Aquael Turbo 500 is a good filter.
I can't really remember the noise level as I put it in my living room.
When you mentioned bedroom, I need to be more cautious because I am very sensitive to noise.

By the way, it has a problem with the bottom sponge which collect too much debris and dirt.
It's very hard to clean the piece of sponge as the debris will drop to the bottom of the tank each time I took it out to clean.
You may have to replace this bottom sponge with another compartment same as the top compartment or something else.

Also, take note that the flow rate is powerful (max flow rate : 500 liter per hour).
It might be a bit too powerful for small tank though I did use it in a 2 ft(length) by 16 inches(width) tank in the past.

Attachments

• Aquael Turbo 500_edited.png
    Aquael Turbo 500_edited.png
    29.4 KB · Views: 174
Just to share about what happened to my Discus tank last week.

My female Red Melon Discus laid eggs last week. The father is the Blue Tiger Discus.
Two days ago the eggs hatched and I saw about 10-20 fry (very small number).

But when I came back home last night, all the fry were gone.
I guess it could be the father that ate all the fry or it could be they were lost somewhere in the tank and died.
Anyway, I read that they spawn quite frequently.
So, I will have to wait for the parents to have more experience in taking care of the fry.

Just to share my experience...
Oh wow :wub: they are very beautiful fish ya got there :wub:

Custom lid
:drool:
Yes the Clearseal doesn't come with a lid. I could've ordered a hinged glass lid from the US but with the space I have a sliding top would work better. The Irish company that will delivery my tank are custom making a sliding glass lid for me. It cost about 2/3 the price of the tank :rofl: :eek: they're attaching rails to the inside of the tank so it'll sit nicely.

Still waiting on my tank, probably this day next week. I did get my 20kg Limpopo Black Sand (€34.99), hope it's enough. It was the best price I could find that delivered to me. And a big bunch of Alternanthera Reineckii (€7.99)

Attachments

• MVIMG_20200908_182849.jpg
    MVIMG_20200908_182849.jpg
    270.5 KB · Views: 181
  • MVIMG_20200908_183929.jpg
    MVIMG_20200908_183929.jpg
    295.9 KB · Views: 178
  • MVIMG_20200908_190104.jpg
    MVIMG_20200908_190104.jpg
    425.6 KB · Views: 189
  • MVIMG_20200908_190836.jpg
    MVIMG_20200908_190836.jpg