A place 4 my questions & ponderings as I build a 34 Gallons (127L) tank

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

It just sounds like a really good filter from everything @Lajos_Detari described :D for my 15 gallon tanks.

I've been considering buying a powerhead or something to increase the flow in my oto tank, they like a lot of oxygenation and some moderate flow. Right now they have a HOB on one side, and I just added a little internal filter on the other side to increase flow, but it's a temporary measure since the cable is way too short (heaters and filters should come with longer cables!) and I also need to add an airstone since the surface disturbance from the HOB isn't a lot really.

Rather than buying everything needed to run an airstone on there, plus a powerhead or wavemaker or something, sounds like adding this filter where the internal currently is would do it all :) And add filtration/polishing!

I think there are a few ways of improving your tank:
1)For your hang on filter, you can squeeze some filter wool inside to trap the dirt more effectively.
Put it at the first layer or the layer nearest to the water intake.

2)You can add a sponge filter instead of airstone if you want to improve the filtration + providing aeration unless you just want to have water aeration.

3)But if you still prefer Internal filter that has a venturi, then you can consider this Eheim Aquaball.
Or you can check out other brand.
I used Aquael internal filter in the past and I find that the venturi is quieter and more powerful.
And in term of the suction cups that are holding the internal filter, both Aquael and Eheim seems to have their strengths.

I used Aquael Turbo 500 in the past but it has one major flaw with the bottom sponge.
The bottom sponge is a coarse sponge which tends to collect a lot of debris and dirt.
Each time when I took out the sponge to clean it, a lot of dirt/debris will drop into the tank making my tank full of debris.

Actually, we are spoilt for choice...
There are many brands with different designs in the market today...

Going to ZZZZZ now...

Last edited:
I think there are a few ways of improving your tank:
1)For your hang on filter, you can squeeze some filter wool inside to trap the dirt more effectively.
Put it at the first layer or the layer nearest to the water intake.

2)You can add a sponge filter instead of airstone if you want to improve the filtration + providing aeration unless you just want to have water aeration.

3)But if you still prefer Internal filter that has a venturi, then you can consider this Eheim Aquaball.
Or you can check out other brand.
I used Aquael internal filter in the past and I find that the venturi is quieter and more powerful.
And in term of the suction cups that are holding the internal filter, both Aquael and Eheim seems to have their strengths.

I used Aquael Turbo 500 in the past but it has one major flaw with the bottom sponge.
The bottom sponge is a coarse sponge which tends to collect a lot of debris and dirt.
Each time when I took out the sponge to clean it, a lot of dirt/debris will drop into the tank making my tank full of debris.

Actually, we are spoilt for choice...
There are many brands with different designs in the market today...

Going to ZZZZZ now...
Goodnight!

I want an internal for this tank because I mainly want something to provide a decent amount of flow. I love sponge filters and use ones in my shrimp and quarantine tanks, but they don't provide much flow.

Even my cheapy internal is doing a good job of adding flow, the cable is just too short to be a permanent solution! I was planning to run an airline from an existing pump to add an airstone (need a different valve to do it) but this eheim filter sounds like it'll provide the stronger flow I want, I can adjust the direction which is awesome, and I can also run an airline into it too, along with filtration. Tank already has a HOB on it.

Personally I prefer cleaning an internal over the HOB. You still need to get your hands wet to clean a HOB since you have to lift the intake and motor out of the water, and it's simpler to replace the media and restart an internal, while my HOB means rinsing a few kinds of media (which is good too, more space for media is nice, it just takes a bit more time) and the HOB doesn't provide much flow across the tank either, just some straight down. I also don't love having the water level lower for the HOB, no need to lower it with an internal :)

I don't think any are 'better' than the other, just different filters for different purposes! Sponges are perfect for my shrimp and guppy tank, my oto tank will be great with a HOB and a decent internal :D

I finally ordered my tank! I'm so excited I danced around the kitchen & my husband is like "eh... You ok?!"

I've ordered the Clearseal (L)36" x (W)18" x (H)12" tank. It's 127 Litres (34 US gallons). I've ordered a custom glass sliding lid too.

The tank (€114) will arrive with Seahorse Aquarium on Tuesday, they'll then build the custom sliding glass lid (€70!). I know that's a costly lid but I've very specific requirements for the space & don't trust myself to DIY it. I could order a hinged glass Aqueon lid from at ~ €35 inc delivery but want sliding lid.

At €184 I thinks it's a great price for the tank size. A 125L Fluval is €305 & Jewel Rio 125L is €270.

EDIT: forgot to add an additional €100 for lights, filter & heater so less that Fluval but bit more than Jewel. More capacity than both.

Tank will arrive around Tuesday 15th September. Woohoo :yahoo: :thumbs::mama:
That's an excellent price! Well done you!

I look forward to you telling us all about it as you build up your aquas cape and add your fish - I wish I could join in your victory dance!:yahoo::drink:

Oh cool. I feel like just burning money with this tank already but only because I ordered so much at once. I've now ordered:

Tank
Custom lid
Fluval E Series 200W heater
Eheim Aquaball 130 x 2
Limpopo Black Sand 20kg
NICREW ClassicLED Aquarium Light, Fish Tank Light with Blue and White LEDs, 18W (recommended here)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01HI42LKC/?tag=

Blackout glass film (can stick to back & sides but can be removed if change my mind later).

I can't get ammonium delivery but I think it's something my stepdad can order to his Pharmacy.

I don't think I'm forgetting anything. I'll get plants once the tank is here or I've a delivery date. And fish, of course, will wait until the tank is cycled.

At the end I'll total up the spend but if I do it today I'll have a panic & cancel everything :rofl:

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
If your stepdad can get the ammonia, make sure it is just ammonia (or ammonium hydroxide, that's what ammonia dissolved in water is) and water - no detergent, perfume etc.

Yeah it would be pure ammonium hydroxide - no perfume. I've actually seen it in his shop before wayyyyy back when I worked there. So that'll be the easiest way to get it. I ordered Tetra SafeStart as I'd read a few places that it was good. I'm not in a major rush or anything. But I am excited!!

Yeah it would be pure ammonium hydroxide - no perfume. I've actually seen it in his shop before wayyyyy back when I worked there. So that'll be the easiest way to get it. I ordered Tetra SafeStart as I'd read a few places that it was good. I'm not in a major rush or anything. But I am excited!!
I'm excited for you, genuinely! You went through so much with the first tank, and so many people would have given up. But you threw yourself into weeks of daily water changes and learning all you could. You of all people deserve to spend some cash on a beautiful tank, using everything you've learned since then. You've learned so much in such a short space of time! Proud of you. I hope that doesn't sound condescending, I mean it in a sincere way :wub:

See? I told you you were the absolute nicest most compassionate poster! And thank you so much. I'm really enjoying the hobby and it's nice to just chill out with the tank. Stare at the plants and the fish :wub:

See? I told you you were the absolute nicest most compassionate poster! And thank you so much. I'm really enjoying the hobby and it's nice to just chill out with the tank. Stare at the plants and the fish :wub:
:blush:
Aww, thank you. But not true! There are lots of lovely people here, many who are sweeter than I am. I can be grumpy and impatient with some people ;) But not with you because you were open to advice and hard work to turn things around.

Now if someone isn't, mean adorabelle comes out... and she's not nice at all... :devil:

Haha. Ah I felt such a responsibility to these little creatures. And my local fish shop was just laughing at me saying fish looked bored - but of course they need stimulation, a nice & suitable environment and appropriate buddies. I have a lovely Eco system in the garden with collared doves, crows, goldfinch, blue tits, bullfinch, bats, foxes... Just so much life that have their home in our garden. So I think of it like that - these beings need an Eco system to thrive & it's my responsibility to provide that. I probably sound like a total hippy now haha

Oh cool. I feel like just burning money with this tank already but only because I ordered so much at once. I've now ordered:

Tank
Custom lid
Fluval E Series 200W heater
Eheim Aquaball 130 x 2
Limpopo Black Sand 20kg
NICREW ClassicLED Aquarium Light, Fish Tank Light with Blue and White LEDs, 18W (recommended here)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01HI42LKC/?tag=

Blackout glass film (can stick to back & sides but can be removed if change my mind later).

I can't get ammonium delivery but I think it's something my stepdad can order to his Pharmacy.

I don't think I'm forgetting anything. I'll get plants once the tank is here or I've a delivery date. And fish, of course, will wait until the tank is cycled.

At the end I'll total up the spend but if I do it today I'll have a panic & cancel everything :rofl:
One off investment, running costs are low and you might end up selling the odd plant off cut in the future. Not that you need any justification! Really chuffed for someone getting a new tank, especially when theyve gone about it as you have with thorough research :good:

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Yeah we were just having that conversation or as my husband said there's lots of short terms items I wouldn't think twice about spending money on but this is long term and I really love it. The research is really interesting and everyone here is so helpful!!
(Edit yet another typo :rofl: )

Last edited:
Hi, Aily. I just skimmed through the beginning and end of this thread (my silly family thinks they need me to get off the forum and cook them some supper, because their priorities are extremely messed up). Your excitement is palpable, and you almost have me wanting to start a new tank just because I miss that feeling. Almost. :)

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back