FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rocky998

Kinda crazy, but somehow they let me stay
Tank of the Month 🏆
Reaction score
Is there a setting to make a thread just a poll with a small description and no comments? And if not I honestly think it should be added. Just a thought

Is there a setting to make a thread just a poll with a small description and no comments? And if not I honestly think it should be added. Just a thought
What would be the purpose of that, this site is about communicating ideas.

Or sometimes you don't need all the comments and you just need the data. You don't want any arguing on topics, just what most peoples' opinions are on a subject...
What would be the purpose of that, this site is about communicating ideas.

It sounds like you want to set up a poll that is going to cause an argument. Not a good idea on a friendly forum

It sounds like you want to set up a poll that is going to cause an argument. Not a good idea on a friendly forum
How would it cause an argument if no one can comment? Its just select your opinion and leave it be.... You can see what percentage of people believe what on the forum.

This would be fish related only. Not other personal beliefs on other things
How would it cause an argument if no one can comment? Its just select your opinion and leave it be.... You can see what percentage of people believe what on the forum.

It is possible to post a poll and then close it.

When you construct your poll, scroll right down as far as you can and there is an option to "Close this poll" after a set number of days.

However to post a poll and close the thread to comments can only be done by a moderator or admin....if that is what you wanted to do, then you would need to send a PM to all staff requesting closure and whichever staffmember is online first would then close it....but that might take time due to life away from the site and staff not being online 24/7. An example of this would be the comptetition threads where polling is allowed but no further commenting.

It can also be coded into the format, again that would be an admin only job and only done in exceptional circumstances as generally there is no need for the function.

It is possible to post a poll and then close it.

When you construct your poll, scroll right down as far as you can and there is an option to "Close this poll" after a set number of days.

However to post a poll and close the thread to comments can only be done by a moderator or admin....if that is what you wanted to do, then you would need to send a PM to all staff requesting closure and whichever staffmember is online first would then close it....but that might take time due to life away from the site and staff not being online 24/7. An example of this would be the comptetition threads where polling is allowed but no further commenting.

It can also be coded into the format, again that would be an admin only job and only done in exceptional circumstances as generally there is no need for the function.
Yeah... Maybe it could be a new feature sometime in the future for polls with no commenting... I think its a great idea to share your opinion without any nasty comments

ask a mod. they can lock it i think.
that way you can still poll without comments @Fishmanic right?

ask a mod. they can lock it i think.
that way you can still poll without comments @Fishmanic right?
But I'm sure mods wouldn't want to lock things upon request just for the sake of a poll or something when someone wants it... Imagine a ton of people PMing mods just for them to ask them to lock it... That would get annoying

Yeah... Maybe it could be a new feature sometime in the future for polls with no commenting... I think its a great idea to share your opinion without any nasty comments
No...that is not the way forums like this are run

Forums are open to everyone and as long as rules remain intact during thread conversations, then the freedom of voicing an opinion is absolutely fine, even if that opinion is not what you or anyone else believes or agrees with.

If a thread gets heated all you need do is stop commenting on it
If a thread gets personal all you need do is report it and let the staff deal with it and you stop commenting on it

Censoring opinions by blocking comments on what is likely to be a difficult or potentially argumentative subject is fundamentally wrong imho.

If someone posts something you do not agree with or feel threatened by, report it or just walk away from that thread and place the poster on ignore. But there is no need to block comments just cos you or anyone else might not like what another person posts.

if I close a thread with a poll, I am not sure if you would still be able to vote in the poll

voicing an opinion is absolutely fine, even if that opinion is not what you or anyone else believes or agrees with.
Im not saying its not fine but some people can really share their opinions too strongly and come across demeaning to others. A poll is a safe and fun way to say your opinion without others saying that's not how its done or being criticized in every little way. No word commenting=no arguing...

Censoring opinions by blocking comments on what is likely to be a difficult or potentially argumentative subject is fundamentally wrong imho.
Its not censoring opinions... All the opinions are there, in a poll. And it would be up to the person setting up the poll whether or not they want people commenting on the poll.

if I close a thread with a poll, I am not sure if you would still be able to vote in the poll
It really depends on the coding when the forum was first set up tbh. An administrator can change the coding at any time to change functions....however sometimes when software such as Xenforo (which this forum is run on) updates, certain functions that were available when the forum was first set up can be removed by the update.

As an ex admin/forum builder I did come across the ability to stop comments on a poll and still keep the poll open when Xenforo was in its original guise of vBulletin, but as the Xenforo format took over I found alot of the functionality changed or vanished entirely with each update.

The forum admins here will be able to confirm whether the function is still available to be coded into the format or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back