A new tank!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

FroFro

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
Meet my new babies, currently ā€œon loanā€ to my dad since he has an angel free tank and my 65 has two large mated and my other an aggressive beta.
image.jpg
I got this today, A used 29 gallon with a stand and lid for just 70$. This will be for my two new platinum angelfish to grow in, but Iā€™m in a bit of a pickle! I need ideas for long/tall plants that can form a nice background, or plants with nice broad leaves for spawning on (if they are male and female). And suggestions?
798E4239-68FB-406D-9EAD-E3E5BAAEB2A1.jpeg

i love new tanks. amazon swords grow big and tall. maybe some java ferns too.

i love new tanks. amazon swords grow big and tall. maybe some java ferns too.
Iā€™ve seen the Amazon swords and they are very nice plants. Iā€™ve never had luck with ferns they always melt and die on me. Do you know of any places to find pest free swords? All my LFS have nice plants in stock but they have pest snails in all their tanks.

Iā€™ve seen the Amazon swords and they are very nice plants. Iā€™ve never had luck with ferns they always melt and die on me. Do you know of any places to find pest free swords? All my LFS have nice plants in stock but they have pest snails in all their tanks.
my petsmart always has good amazon swords. they donā€™t have any pests on them. iā€™ve bought 4 and all have grown and thrived and look great to this day.

my petsmart always has good amazon swords. they donā€™t have any pests on them. iā€™ve bought 4 and all have grown and thrived and look great to this day.
The ones in the tubes? Iā€™ve gotten Anubias from those but never a sword. The ferns I tried to get were dry culture like that and melted badly.

The ones in the tubes? Iā€™ve gotten Anubias from those but never a sword. The ferns I tried to get were dry culture like that and melted badly.
yes the ones in tubes. iā€™ve also gotten 3 anubias from the tubes too. iā€™ve never gotten fernā€™s from petsmart. sorry yours didnt live.

the swords will shed their old land leaves and grow water leaves in a month about.
yes, my ferns all melted
maybe ebcause of potassium

I like jungle vals for my background. I got some that were almost 5 feet long from my lfs. Three plants for $10. It has grown pretty quick too.

I purchased some large anubias plants from the Buceplants website. It was three large leaved striped anubias on a short rhizome piece in one pot.

I like jungle vals for my background. I got some that were almost 5 feet long from my lfs. Three plants for $10. It has grown pretty quick too.

I purchased some large anubias plants from the Buceplants website. It was three large leaved striped anubias on a short rhizome piece in one pot.
very cheap

I really like Anubias because itā€™s very hardy and can withstand my bleach water dips with little to no melt( Iā€™ve avoided snails by doing this). All mine are the basic ones from my lfs, did the ones you ordered come with any ā€œfriendsā€?

I really like Anubias because itā€™s very hardy and can withstand my bleach water dips with little to no melt( Iā€™ve avoided snails by doing this). All mine are the basic ones from my lfs, did the ones you ordered come with any ā€œfriendsā€?
How do yiu bleach dip? Was trying to dip some native species but they all melted

How do you bleach dip? Was trying to dip some native species but they all melted
Get some straight bleach and put it in a plastic container. Put the plants in the bleach for 1 minute, then remove them and wash them under tap water. After that, put them in a bucket of tap water and add a triple dose of dechlorinator. Swirl it around and leave for a little while, then rinse them again.

Use bleach that is cold because warm and hot bleach dissolves things quicker.

Get some straight bleach and put it in a plastic container. Put the plants in the bleach for 1 minute, then remove them and wash them under tap water. After that, put them in a bucket of tap water and add a triple dose of dechlorinator. Swirl it around and leave for a little while, then rinse them again.

Use bleach that is cold because warm and hot bleach dissolves things quicker.
K

How do yiu bleach dip? Was trying to dip some native species but they all melted
As Colin stated, however I like to dip my plants then let them free float in the extra treated water for a few days to make sure any and all snails are gone, as their eggs are very very tiny. Finer leafed plants will melt easier when kept for more than a minute. Iā€™ve successfully treated my Anubias for 5 minute soaks with little to no melt. Never treat Anubias with freshly cut/trimmed rhizomes though.

No, none I got from Buceplants had snails or hanger-ons. Some I ordered from ebay did, but I purposely breed pond snails in one of my tanks and just put the ones I saw in there, then did my bleach dip.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back