A micro-pike for you

GaryE

Staff member
Global Moderator ⚒️
Reaction score
Here is one of the young male Epiplatys huberi we caught in Gabon this summer. So far, with much effort, I have raised 3 fry into juveniles. If I can keep working away with them, I could have something very nice here, for a long time. I like 'em.
IMG_1810.JPG

I remember doing the research on the region before I went, and thinking "I hope I don't catch only huberi. That's one I don't want to bring home."

The photos I'd seen were nice, but. The fish had a reputation as really tough to keep and I didn't think I had the skill to make a go of it. Then I saw it in the net and grabbed a bunch.

It's all wrong. People had told me the group (Epiplatys) were ambush predators from slow water. Every one we caught was in fast water (we also caught E. ansorgii, but not enough of them for two of us so they went to Europe). They all came from under overhanging brush - really tough woody plants that were full of small spiders. They showed up in my net with the fish.

The bushes were net destroyers. I suspect my huberi are predators on those spiders. And ants, like most small fish of the region. The locals warned me of a large fire ant nest where I was fishing - they may like spicy food. I'm sure they cause nightmares in the rainy season mosquito community, and help the fight with malaria. But they may balance out if they also eat mosquito predators.

A live food indoor spider culture? Nope.

I have no fruit flies. I wish I did. Other Epiplatys have gone wild for them, and they'd be good food. The flies would escape a lot because of duckweed issues. I hate that stuff.

They chase down freshly hatched brine shrimp, and love whiteworms, bug bites and crushed black fly larvae (dried).

Maybe I need a black widow spider culture... or possibly not.

Oh wow ! That Killie is a definite keeper . Epiplatys species are cool . I gotta try one .
Are they difficult to keep? I've never tried killies except the native kind. Gary, do you have plans for the fry?

Are they difficult to keep? I've never tried killies except the native kind. Gary, do you have plans for the fry?
Killifish are no more difficult to keep than any other fish. You have to do your homework and I think species only aquariums are the only way to go . Most are jumpers and a top without any openings at all is mandatory . These are hands on fish . You will be collecting eggs and raising fry in different containers to eliminate sibling predation . The only problem with Killifish is obtaining them . They aren’t available much .

I would love to share these with US friends, but their laws make it close to impossible. If you have an importing permit, if you pay for an inspection, only possible at a few designated ports of entry... it costs a lot and probably involves travel for most people. It's been permits only since way back to Bush II, and the old days when I could mail eggs or pairs to friends are gone.

I used to drive across the border and mail them, but if I tried that now - yikes.

The member of our group who kept the other species we found is doing okay with them, so I'm hoping for eggs in the Spring. He's in northern Europe, so it's allowed.

US Homeland Security told me if it wasn't already in the USA, it wasn't worth having. Uh huh.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back