A Killifish That Lives In Trees

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Certainly didn't think a mod would move this, seeing it as more "fish news" than simply "killifish news".

This is a really strange fish. It can also reproduce without a mate and sometimes lives in crab burrows.

The mangrove killifish or Rivulus marmoratus Poey, 1880 has been documented for many years due to several amazing facts like it's a self-fertilizing hermaphrodites. The gonads of R. marmoratus are actually ovotestes that produce both eggs and sperm. and now it live's in trees...... i must be going mad!!!

Rivulus species have been known to cross land areas to find water and are sometimes found under damp leaf litter so it is not suprising that they can be found in damp tree crevices.
Helter is absolutely correct in stating that Rivulus marmoratus is a self-fertilizing hermaphrodite.
Nature has so many diverse mechanisms built into various species to ensure their survival.

It is just a shame that they are so drab in colour.
They only come in brown. I suppose that with not needing a mate they have nothing to show off to.
They are not great lovers of acid water as you would think either. They prefer a little salt added to the aquarium to successfully maintain them.
I have kept these up untill the summer of this year. I went on holiday and the 2 remaining ones I had died when the tank had an acidity crash.

Considering they're named "mangrove killifish", I don't think anyone would think they like acidic water. I wonder if anyone has tried keeping them on land? Perhaps a mudskipper-style setup to see if they'll come out of the water?

This is the first time I have ever heard of them refered to as "Mangrove Killifish".
Alot of people know the species name rivulus though, and associate them to like soft acidic water.
A lot of the rivulus species spend time out of water and traveling across land. The ability to stick to trees etc is not a new thing. It is one way killis avoid preditors.
And another thing....
The article's wrong anyway! The family it belongs to is Kryptolebias, and not Rivulus!

Many thanks to fishman1 for pointing out that Riv marmoratus is now classified as Kryptolebias marmoratus, in fact it was re classified in August 2004 and as with everything, some of the older gen like me still use the old names. I still use Cynolebias when refering to nigripinnis etc.
So again thank you for bring this up.
Have you wrote any articles for Killi-News regarding your expeditions.
Regards
BigC

Hi Big C

I too use the old names. What winds me up is so called common names that seem to get made up or re-invented. In fact the only reason I read the article in the paper was because I had never heard of "The Mangrove Killi fish". Then it turns out reading down that it is Kryptolebias (Rivulus) marmoratus.
The hermaphrodite aspect is the only real thing that makes it stand out as interesting, as for colour it's brown and usually looks like a female with a caudal spot at the base of its tail. I think it looked quite impressive in black and white really, more so than in real life. I will not be going out of my way to attain more of this species.
As for the bit about living in trees you said it all in your previous post....
Rivulus species have been known to cross land areas to find water and are sometimes found under damp leaf litter so it is not suprising that they can be found in damp tree crevices.
As for writing any articles for the BKA, they don't want a "novice" like me doing things like that. As long as they have my subscription money to help towards the book ballancing thats all that matters. Ever since joining I could not get into the web site, even after emailing quite a few times, and talking to "the web master" at Reditch last year, no joy. Then remarkably after a few people also said they have the same problem on a forum (and a little rant by me) "the web master" actually did something about it and explained how to attain access! Hooray!!
Have I tried it you ask? I honestly cannot be bothered after a 2 year wait! My miniscule ammount of knowledge will be passed on to those who want to "share" their knowledge and experiences. Like the people I was chatting to at Hayling Island whilst I benched and de-benched my show fish. Check out the FBAS website and you can see some of my fish and the results. I show as TDC. Have a look at the killi show results, that took place on the saturday. :good:

I just had a look at the show results and pics, some nice deporting fish you have there I like the Aphanius mento/dispar but the others are stunning too.
Do you belong to a particular Aquarist Society of do you show your fish as an independant.
I showed under Bradford and District A.S. (YAAS) years back and was an avid and active member within the club.
I have to agree with you that since the passing of Cliff Griffiths (BKA registrar) the association has lost its way somewhat in recent months. And all sorts of disruptive events seem to be happening.
There are a load of internal email flying about in regards to the future vision of the association which includes the newbie membership/satisfaction and holding on to members.
In the old days Killifish associations were the only outlets for obtaining stock and in some respects they still are but with the dawn of the internet this aspect is not so much of a problem today. Sites like Aquabid, Ebay and friendly breeders more than satisfy the need for species aquisition.
I dont wish to slag off the BKA but it always was a bit of a clique. (although higher ranking members will feverishly argue that it is not)
I have had a few slaps in the face (not literally) so to speak.
One instant I approached a high ranking member who was keeping a certain Rivulus species. (he had no idea on how to breed them) I was breeding them sucessfully for years. I needed some for to diverseify my gene pool and approached him for some stock. I told him how I went about the process of breeding/Fry rearing etc for sucessful batches. He initally offered me his stock (I was willing to pay) then after I divulged the information he decied he was going to hang on to his stock and broke off all lines of communication. I havent heard from him since.
I am a bit cut off so to speak living in Northern Ireland now but there is a neculeus of 3 good enthusiasts over here and we visit and have dinner at certain times of the year. One of our midst is very adventurous and inports from Bulgaria with noo losses thus far. I like to use Sweden as the membership of the SKS are more open and honest bunch of enthusiasts.
Regards
BigC

Sorry for cutting across you post Dizz.

Hi BigC

I live in Leicester, where there used to be a fully active club. This has now dwindled to a few of us meeting up at shows and still showing as Leicester. I am also a member of Derby Club who has some very enthusiastic and sincere fish keepers. Unfortunately they have not been bitten by the showing of their fish bug, but not everyone travels the same route in this hobby. I enjoy the club nights talking about fish anyway.
The internet has opened new avenues for attaining good fish and eggs. I do hope that the BKA adapts to survive. There are some good guys there.
My friend and I spent some time at Hayling Island chatting to a group/club who had travelled over from Ireland to the festival. They told us they had a fish show this year. I said that hopefully we would like to attend if we can to support their show and to bring some fish over. Maybe we could meet up there if all goes to plan.
I am up Bradford in a couple of weeks or so to their show and auction.
Appologies to Dizz for highjacking this thread.

Oh, I nearly forgot, I looked at the Kryptolebias/rivulus article again today and noticed that it is not a black and white picture of the fish! It is in colour! LMAO! I did say they had very little colour going for them! LMAO

I am up Bradford in a couple of weeks or so to their show and auction.
More power to you for supporting the club circuit. I really enjoyed the comaradary of the club scene not to mention the odd pint or two to be social.
Bradford's Show used to be always on Rememberance Sunday.
Say Hi to Anthony Fisher if you get the chance, he's a long standing member, tell him Colin and Denise from Northern Ireland were asking about him and his family.
Yeah there a a fair few nice guys in the BKA willing to help often at their own expence. I like to think I'm one of them. Was the Hayling Is. show more of a livebearer event.
As for the Rivulus, yes I get your drift.... little brown fishes.
Personal favourite is xiphidius.
See Killi-News No.498 March 2007 for my article.
It would be great if our paths met some time in the future. I'll be over on the mainland (Bradford) next year and may hunt down a show or two to fill a Sunday.
Regards
BigC
Sorry again Dizz.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back