A Few Questions About Shrimps

matt20687

Fish Fanatic
Joined
Jun 28, 2007
Messages
131
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Hello

I am thinking of getting a few shrimps and would like to know a few things:

*Firstly how do you know the sex ???

*Are they ok with all community fish? I have got a snail aswell would they be ok together?

*What do they feed on ? Just the algae pellets that my cat fish has ?


If anyone knows any of these anwsers would be good! :shout:

Cheers
Matt
 
Hello

I am thinking of getting a few shrimps and would like to know a few things:

*Firstly how do you know the sex ???

*Are they ok with all community fish? I have got a snail aswell would they be ok together?

*What do they feed on ? Just the algae pellets that my cat fish has ?


If anyone knows any of these anwsers would be good! :shout:

Cheers
Matt

Sexing, compatibility and feeding depends on the species of shrimp

www.ukshrimp.co.uk is a good site to get shrimp info from! :D
 
Hi

I have x 3 amano shrimp. If you buy these you will find that they will keep the algae down in your tank. They will also clear up any uneaten food. In answer to your questions:-

You can tell the sex because the females will have brownish broken lines running along their body where the males have defined dots.

Mine are fine with all my community fish - they will be fine with snails

They will feed on just about anything. Its important that you make sure they get fed rather than just survive on the leftovers. They will eat any frozen foods, flake, algae waifers, veg etc.

I love mine and find them facinating - they tend to travel together all over my tank and are not shy at all! If you buy some and see an empty transparent shell in your tank dont panick and think one has died! - they shed their entire shells periodically as they grow.
 
Hello

I am thinking of getting a few shrimps and would like to know a few things:

*Firstly how do you know the sex ???

*Are they ok with all community fish? I have got a snail aswell would they be ok together?

*What do they feed on ? Just the algae pellets that my cat fish has ?


If anyone knows any of these anwsers would be good! :shout:

Cheers
Matt


what kind of shrimp are you talking about??
 
on occasion i put ghost shrimp in my community tank but eventually they always disappear.have no idea who eats them.
 
yer they are fascinating. I have seen them before and seem really interesting and unusual!

I am not sure what species to get. Will probably be whatever species the fish shop has tommorrow.

Are they easy to breed ? I would like to give that a go as i have seen pics of how thye hold the eggs and it looks so odd.
I am starting to breed my fish now and would like to be able to breed something different aswell!

Cheers and any more information about them would be good, but thanks to everyone who has given me a bit of help!

Matt
 

Most reactions

Back
Top