A few invertbrates I want

🐠 Tank of the Month Starts Now! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
Click here to enter!

Eelzor

This shrimp is so good it needs to be seen in wide
Reaction score
I have found some invertabrates that caught my eye and I am intrigued to buy them. :drool:

1. The "Camel Shrimp" aka. "Dancing Shrimp". I know these are harmful to corals and the like, however mine is a FOWLR tank. It's the only shrimp I can afford and it looks quite nice. :) The Prices here are weird though so don't bother recommending me any other shrimps. Would a camel shrimp be suitable for a 5 gallon SW nano?

2. Any brittlestars are ok? (Except the green ones - I know)

3. I saw this small urchin at my lfs recently and I must say it looked nice indeed. I have no idea what type it is however it has blunt white spines, a purpulish/greyish body and was maybe an inch in diamter. 2 inches with spines. Can anyone identify this? Or simply put - is any urchin suitable for a 5 gallon? I'll try and get a picture or better identification at some time later.

Ta mateyz, :cool:

Great Lakes

Always do right, not popular...
Reaction score
Feel free to put in 2 or three of the camel shrimp.

Serpent stars would be a no no in a tank that size.
Not generaly considered agressive, but they are opportunistic feeders, and in a tank that small....shudder.. :D

Someone else will have to info you on the urchin. Can't have one so I have never bothered "learnin up" on them.

GL

OP
OP
Eelzor

Eelzor

Reaction score
Thanks GL! :D

If anyone has any info on the sea urchin I described, or a sea urchin that is ok for a 5 gallon or if any sea urchin is suitable for a 5 gallon in general, then it's my only question left.

Tnx. :thumbs:

Navarre

Marine Moderator
Reaction score
Sea urchin is not really gonna work in a nano.
They need algae or coraline algae so this means they can wipe out 2 or 3 gallons worth in a single evening. they would starve after a few weeks.

Opcn

Big fish
Reaction score
I'll bet that you could suppliment an urchin with Norri or some other dried leefy green.

Navarre

Marine Moderator
Reaction score
There are many types of uchin i do grant you. However, mine eats only Coraline and nothing else. Considering the difficulty eelzor has at getting certain species of marine life, i really do not recomend it.

OP
OP
Eelzor

Eelzor

Reaction score
Ok Tnx for the info pplz. :thumbs:

Navarre,

I finally found a store with plenty of cleaner crew hermits/snails and I bought some. This store is the one with the urchin. By the way it's looking like it, chances are I won't get it however I'll look into the urchin and seek info about it from that LFS.

I'll keep you updated. :)

Most reactions