A couple of questions

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

fishface

Reaction score
Over the last week we have lost all but one of our Guppies to what I think was Droopsy :-( The last remaining female is in fine health and we now have six babies in the baby saver all who are fine and showing no signgs! :thumbs: Non of the other fish have been affected only the Guppies and I cant understand why? Anyone enlighten me as to why its only affected them? :-(
All the water tests are fine and were doing a 25 per cent water change every couple of days and the rest of the fish are happy and lively! :hey: so fingers crossed we have it beat but would like advice in case it happens again.

Another thing is yesterday I noticed that one of our tail light tetras only has one eye! :-( I mentioned it to my son who is only 9 and he said that it was like that when it came which now has to be five to six weeks and I just cant believe I never noticed it! The fish is growing holding his own and doing well in the tank there are no nipped fins and he is feeding! Is it okay to allow him to go on like this I have no idea at what point in time he lost his eye only before we got him or should I consider euthanising him?? :-( It just seems cruel when he has been happy and healthy and it hasnt affected him or will he be in pain!

Thank you in advance for any help offered :thumbs:

Hello fishface,
You said you believed that your guppies had dropsy, what makes you think that?
Did it have a distended belly and looked bloated and were the scales all protruding from the sides of the fish itslf? If the answer to that is yes, then it is a good bet that it did have dropsy. Now dropsy is a symptom rather than a disease. The disease that could cause dropsy is often bacterial. Parasite cannot be ruled out either, but the root cause will be tank hygiene or more specifically - the lack of it.
Nitrogen gives rise to an accumulation of nutrients that encourage Mycobacteria and this causes stress in the fish, which lowers their immune system and the cycle goes on. This may have been caused by your lfs before you bought the fish, but of course you may not know that.
Then there's your one eyed tetra. It will survive quite nicely with only one eye, just watch out for infections.
Now just reading your one single post tells me that you may need to look for another lfs.
I'm not saying they are no good, what I am saying is they may be selling you inferior fish. Check out the other fish, do they look healthy, (no fish should be hanging or have clamped fins) and is the water clean and clear. If in any doubt take your business elsewhere.
A good lfs will be able to give you advice without trying to sell you anything, they will do water tests for you- free of charge and they will have staff that know about their fish and if the member of staff is an experienced fishkeeper they will offer your personal advice on your setup.
I speak from experience.

One eyed fish are not that uncommon and if he/she shows no sign of infection there is no worry. I've got two that I've had for a few years now.

ALASKA

Hiya thank you both for your advice and thank goodness that I dont need to worry about the poor one eyed baby anymore I was getting so worried that it was cruel to keep him like this!!

Right as for the guppies, yep im sure it was droopsy they were all distended and there scales started to protrude as I explained a couple of weeks ago im a greyhound and lurcher rescuer and erm :*) ended up with the fish as another rescue from my irresponsible BIL! :-( All the other fish are fine and very healthy and lively no clamped fins, discolouration or anything else its only affected the guppies. I have telephoned my BIL to ask about where the fish came from in the first place. The other fish that seem okay and are well all came from the lfs BUT the guppies came from a man who had an advert in a pet shop window he had over 300 and was selling them 10 fish for £3!! I have a feeling from what ive read on here that this sort of purchase means that the fish are probably just breeding and breeding and not in the best of health :grr: The last remaining female looks to be fine and its around four days since we had our last death so fingers crossed she should be clear! The six fry are all doing well.

The other thing I needed to ask now is will this guppy do well on her own or do they need to be kept in groups of more than one? To be honest its sort of put me off getting anymore of this type of fish as I was heartbroken to see them dropping one by one :-(

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back