A controversal topic...

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

I can understand why we would be concerned about how we euthanize our fish. Honestly I could never imagine a fish keeper who loves their fish to haphazardly discard their little buddies. Weā€™ll all do our best to make their passing as easy as possible. And if some are capable of just abusing them then I doubt it would matter if the fish felt pain anyway. Also, I guess I just donā€™t understand why people who eat fish/meat would care. But donā€™t get me wrong I love debate and learning for what it is anyway.

gaya said:
Also, I guess I just donā€™t understand why people who eat fish/meat would care.
Good point, i am a meat eating human being- i like eating dead animals, if you like.
Last year i gave up eating battery farmed animals like chickens, pigs and turkeys and their produce simply because i disagree with the way they are raised/farmed and killed- just because i still eat meat farmed and killed in more moral and humane ways doesn't mean i shouldn't have a veiw on fish morality and euthanasia.
Although i would find it hypocritical of somone who say, eats battery farmed chickens and eggs but is big on morals with fish. Morals should be applied to all living things.

Tokis-Phoenix said:
gaya said:
Also, I guess I just donā€™t understand why people who eat fish/meat would care.
Good point, i am a meat eating human being- i like eating dead animals, if you like.
Last year i gave up eating battery farmed animals like chickens, pigs and turkeys and their produce simply because i disagree with the way they are raised/farmed and killed- just because i still eat meat farmed and killed in more moral and humane ways doesn't mean i shouldn't have a veiw on fish morality and euthanasia.
Although i would find it hypocritical of somone who say, eats battery farmed chickens and eggs but is big on morals with fish. Morals should be applied to all living things.
I'm not saying that you shouldn't have an opinion about it, i've just seen it become a passionate topic in the past and have always been a little confused. I like that people care care regardless if they eat meat. it's better than nothin in my book

edit: and btw i didn't mean to be a downer with the debate or anything :unsure:

not a subject i have ever hear much about or thought about.......so i am puzzled as to why you would bother with things like boiling water? Surley if you want to kill a fish you just cut its head off.......cant see why you would even go to the lengths of filling up a kettle?.......and whats the clove oil thing about? again, seems a hassle for something that can be done so simply with a knife!

You can't realy blame people for being squeamish or upset when it comes to cutting their own pets head off with a knife- things like clove oil are alternative methods for those who don't like blood or gore.

Tiggs said:
not a subject i have ever hear much about or thought about.......so i am puzzled as to why you would bother with things like boiling water? Surley if you want to kill a fish you just cut its head off.......cant see why you would even go to the lengths of filling up a kettle?.......and whats the clove oil thing about? again, seems a hassle for something that can be done so simply with a knife!
Hmmmm, it seems worrying to me that you don't understand why people would not want to decapitate their pet.

Decapitation will cause the fish stress (being brought out of the water, held firmly and so on) which isn't nice even if it is about to die. Would you like to be drowned for a while before having your head cut off? Clove oil is like the fish going to sleep and not waking up again. Not to mention the stress on the person doing the knifing. Perhaps not everyone is as fine with it as you.

Technically what the fish is doing when put into clove oil is also drowning too though if you call being starved of oxygen, suffocation.
Destroying the fish's brain and then proceeding to cut the spinal cord is one of the best methods out there and the best in my opinion although i don't expect many people favor it simply because of the gore factor- destroying the fish's brain ensures quite instant death as the fish can't live without a brain, clove oil is effective too but not on a regular basis from i have heard.

gore? about as gory as a Big Mac.....love my fish but i'd chop their heads off if needed!

You have to take into consideration that most of todays generation are raised in highly populated areas like towns or citys and the closest experience they come to an animal death is the pre-killed chicken on their plate. People no longer experience the raising and killing of the animals they eat- everything is neatly gutted, skinned, plucked and wrapped up in plastic and no-one has to look at and deal with the gory process of it all anymore.
I could go on, but with this way of living and the jist of things i think that is why people are so sensitive to gore and animal issues etc so you can't realy blame them for being squeamish- i expect for somone who'd first hand to animal death experience is putting down their beloved fish by cutting its head off with a knife could be quite traumatising.

Personally having been raised on a farm and having killed hundreds of rats and mice and dozens of chickens and pheasants, the way i see it, you just gotta do what you gotta do. If bashing the fish's brains out with a hammer is the most effective and fast method of euthanasia, i'll gladly but my emoticions aside and do whats best for the fish in the best method available :nod: .

Tiggs said:
gore? about as gory as a Big Mac.....love my fish but i'd chop their heads off if needed!
As a vegetarian I would agree with you on that.

I still find it pretty sick that you are so happy with it. I know you have to pierce the brain after using other methods but the fish is not alive.

I have never had to kill one of my fish but if I did I would use clove oil.

lol, as a fellow vegetarian I was just thinking the same thing!

The purpose of pain as I understand it is to try to make you realise that what is happening is damaging to you and make you want to get away from it/stop what is happening. It has to be painful and horrible to invoke a quick reaction out of you and get you to protect yourself. It is a kind of biological preservation measure I think. If any species ever evolved without it, I'm pretty sure they would have become extinct pretty quickly. Therefore I would think that fish must feel some kind of pain for so many of them to still be around and for them to want to get away from what I would consider painful situations the way most of them do.

Maybe they don't feel pain in the same way that we do or with the same intensity that we do, but they must feel something unpleasant as a survival instinct. If you can get close enough to one of you fish to stick a pin in it, it would swim away quickly because it has felt something it doesn't want to feel. Whether it comes in the realm of discomfort or pain I don't know, but I strongly believe it is there.

Aylana said:

lol, as a fellow vegetarian I was just thinking the same thing!

The purpose of pain as I understand it is to try to make you realise that what is happening is damaging to you and make you want to get away from it/stop what is happening. It has to be painful and horrible to invoke a quick reaction out of you and get you to protect yourself. It is a kind of biological preservation measure I think. If any species ever evolved without it, I'm pretty sure they would have become extinct pretty quickly. Therefore I would think that fish must feel some kind of pain for so many of them to still be around and for them to want to get away from what I would consider painful situations the way most of them do.

Maybe they don't feel pain in the same way that we do or with the same intensity that we do, but they must feel something unpleasant as a survival instinct. If you can get close enough to one of you fish to stick a pin in it, it would swim away quickly because it has felt something it doesn't want to feel. Whether it comes in the realm of discomfort or pain I don't know, but I strongly believe it is there.
God you're good!

(hey btw! Hope you got home ok)

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back