A controversal topic...

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Reaction score
Yes i know this can be a controversal topic but it interests me very much and the issues of debate applys to many things in fish keeping as far as morality goes- what are your opinions on wether fish feel pain or not or what fish feel pain? I would also like to explore some of the moral issues when it comes to fish euthanasia too...
ps: i have a feeling this may stir up some tempers as a posibility so please try to control them if it comes to this and be respectful of other peoples opinions and the such like :thumbs: .
Anyways...
I saw a program on TV a while back on the open university channel, it had a part in it exploring the concept of fish pain in a study on salmon. It was previously thought that salmon had no pain receptors at all but after a more thorough study it concluded that they did have pain receptors in their spinal cord and mouth.

When it comes to what is acceptable as far as methods of fish euthanasia are concerned, alot of what is concidered humane follows the lines of
a. How long it takes to kill the fish, and
b. How much pain/suffering or stress it causes to the fish.

A thought occurred to me that, say we have a platy and that it has been scientifically proven that platys have no pain receptors in their bodys, would this make some of the less acceptable methods of euthanasia more acceptable when applied to the platy than say an oscar in this example, had been scientifically proven that it did have pain receptors in its body?
If the platy had no pain receptors, would it become acceptable to say, chuck it in boiling water? How would the morals of euthanasia change to a fish that had no pain receptors?

My second thought is on how the size of a fish changes what methods of euthanasia are acceptable, if at all.
A while back before i knew about on how freezing a fish was an unaceptable form of putting a fish down, a female guppy i bought from my lfs gave birth to some very inbred fry. Their tails were very deformed and when they started dying a couple of days after being born of genetic swimbladder disorders i decided there was little hope for them.
I netted them out and put them in the freezer- they were dead in under 4seconds. If how long it takes for a fish to die is an important factor of how humane its method of been put down is a major factor, then surely this was not so unaceptable?
I wouldn't imagine fry that are only a couple of days old are not very inteligent and it is very debatable on wether they have pain receptors at all at that early stage of
life.
But i could see where trying to freeze a 10inch plec alive would be very inhumane as due to its size it would mean that it would take longer for the plec to freez and die and thus a far more stressful and slow death.
So does the morality of freezing as a means of euthanasia and other methods depends on the size of the fish?

Many people strongly advise clove oil as the most acceptable form of euthanasia but strongly go against using vodka. I am doubtful on how humane clove oil is and why it is so more different to vodka- its the same principle when it comes down to it after all, a "fast" means of poisoning the blood stream and quick suffocation in one.
What is to say clove oil does not burn the fish's skin off as it dies like vodka?
And i have noticed that clove oil is not a risk free fast method of euthanasia- i have read many storys of it taking up to 5minutes to kill a fish or only make them go unconsious- surely this is not considered the most humane method when there are other methods out there that guaranetee a fast death i.e destroying the fish's brain via bashing its brains out with a hammer or peicing the brain with a sharp object like knife or scissor blade?

With methods of euthansia that rely on poisoning the bloodstream and inducing quick suffocation in one like clove oil, surely this method would become less and less effective on more the larger fish?

What are your opinions on this subject and questions?

Hi Tokis. This subject is quite sensitive I agree but having recently had to euthanise a couple of fish I feel that clove oil is not suitable for larger fish. I had a very poorly guppy which responded in a couple of seconds to clove oil but then had a larger 3 inch cichlid which got a serious bacterial infection. He became bent and couldn't swim and was obviously suffering. The clove oil made him thrash around and made me feel quite sick so I added an alkaseltzer which actually worked in about 30 seconds. The experience has put me off euthanising fish to be honest. I feel the only kind ways are to either chop their head off and destroy the brain (which I can't do) or take it to a vet to use anaesthetic (mucho expensive).

It's a useless discussion

here are two examples of dead end arguments for both sides

Fish have nerves therefore feel pain

OR

The way fish's brains process nerve information likely differ from our own so pain could for a fish not be "painful"

Dead end examples,

My cichlid when it was atracked/maimed/destroyed acted considerably different (ie. movements, breathing, eating) both before and after (as it was healthy and beaten) as well as in the main tank and hospital tank (as it avoided more attacks and rested)

OR

Goldfish in a pirahnah tank seem to move almost the same and act almost the same even when missing half a tail

It's not something that can be discussed it has to be scientificaly evaluated if you want an answer

Tokis-Phoenix said:
"Yes" as in all fish wether they be tiny guppy fry or neon tetra to a beautil male betta or 10inch common plec?
fish are fish :nod: size is irrelevent

Fish feel pain you know this if you've ever used iodine on them.

Clove oil does not burn the fishes skin off. It is used often in koi for just knocking them out to clean up ulcers ect. From personal experience it is not without stress but is also a pretty good analgesic (if you just knock a fish out with out with it they'll get injected fins but they're friskier once you bring them out of it). It is used in humans to releive toothache (possibly other things but that's the one I know off the top of my head).

However the AVMA only recognises ms222 as humane. I'm not sure what that says for koivet ;)

Tokis-Phoenix said:
And i have noticed that clove oil is not a risk free fast method of euthanasia- i have read many storys of it taking up to 5minutes to kill a fish or only make them go unconsious- surely this is not considered the most humane method when there are other methods out there that guaranetee a fast death i.e destroying the fish's brain via bashing its brains out with a hammer or peicing the brain with a sharp object like knife or scissor blade?

With methods of euthansia that rely on poisoning the bloodstream and inducing quick suffocation in one like clove oil, surely this method would become less and less effective on more the larger fish?
What about this though? Surely the clove oil becomes less and less humane the larger the fish like freezing does?

If clove oil does not burn the fish's skin, what are the posibilitys of it leaving gill damage- this is after a substance that suffocates/poisons the fish's bloodstream and is used primarily to put fish down after all.
I can see where using it to perform fish surgery in fatal fish desease situations would justify the use of clove oil to give the fish a fighting chance of saving its life, but i wonder wether it leaves any permanent damage on the fish for example like the kind of damage you get when a fish is exposed to high levels of ammonia over a period of time

I wonder whether watter leaves any permanent damage on the fish for example like the kind of damage you get when a fish is exposed to high levels of ammonia over a period of time

come on there is no evidence to make you worry,

It is used to knock puffers out to cut there teeth sometimes twice a year puffers are also particularily long lived fifteen plus years

The gills are a very sensitive area and clove oil is not somthing they are naturally supposed to deal with, its known that fish that are expose to high levels of ammonia over a period of time, particualy when young, can leave permanent damage and reduce the efficiency of the gills ability to breath well in adult life. I've taken in some platys in the past from people who kept them in appalling conditions and i have noticed they have always been more red in comparison to fish that havn't been through these condtions. Im just wondering if clove oil can leave similar damage.

Question :) -why does it even matter if fish feel pain or not? It’s not like we’re gonna go out and torture our fish if they can’t feel it so what’s the difference? Why is this so controversial?

gaya said:
Question :) -why does it even matter if fish feel pain or not? It’s not like we’re gonna go out and torture our fish if they can’t feel it so what’s the difference? Why is this so controversial?
Because it could change veiws on various methods of euthanasia which are only considered inhumane because of the pain they cause for the fish i.e chucking it into boiling water or killing it via vodka.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back