864 Litre Planted Rainbowfish Aquarium

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Sanj

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Here are some pictures of my planted rainbowfish tank. It has been running since Aug 2008. The aquarium flora has evolved somewhat partly thanks to its inhabitants; some of the Rainbows and Denisoni barbs got rather partial to hair grass and Blyxa so that i no longer have a nice lawn. The tank is lit by T5s and Leds, it has 4 external filters two of which supp;y co2 via x2 5kg canisters.

Attachments

• Rainbowfish Planted Tank 1.jpg
    Rainbowfish Planted Tank 1.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 113
Not sure if these photos are quite right...

I have a new digi camera and am having difficulty getting unblurred fish shots.

Attachments

• Rainbowfish Planted Tank 2.jpg
    Rainbowfish Planted Tank 2.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 122
  • Rainbowfish Planted Tank 4.jpg
    Rainbowfish Planted Tank 4.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 212
looks good, i like the idea of the java fern tufts (on the wood) but i think a more defined mid section would aid the perception of depth in the tank. maybe some smaller plants like echinodorus tenellus to accompany the blyxa in the mid ground and have the stems and larger swords behind. or have anubias and microsorum protruding up into the upper part of the tank and surrond it wth tenellus and blyxa with larger stuff behind. It would allow the fish to cruise over the plants.
are you unable to grow any foreground plants at all due to the fish?

Stunning, what species of rainbows do you have in there?

I love rainbows, I miss mine :(

looks good, i like the idea of the java fern tufts (on the wood) but i think a more defined mid section would aid the perception of depth in the tank. maybe some smaller plants like echinodorus tenellus to accompany the blyxa in the mid ground and have the stems and larger swords behind. or have anubias and microsorum protruding up into the upper part of the tank and surrond it wth tenellus and blyxa with larger stuff behind. It would allow the fish to cruise over the plants.
are you unable to grow any foreground plants at all due to the fish?

hello, thanks for the comments. I do have problems with the fish in that they like to to pull up and consume several species. The bare areas where completely carpeted in dwarf hair grass and blyxa further back. I working with more species of crypts and well just trying with what plants work and which dont.

Stunning, what species of rainbows do you have in there?

I love rainbows, I miss mine :(

Hi,

there are 10 species (i think):

M.boesmani
M.lacustris (Lake Kutubu)
M.fredericki (Sorong)
M.praecox
M.splendida rubrostriata/or maybe inornata (red striped or chequred)
M.australis (Western Australian rainbow)
M.trifasciata (Regal/banded) sold as the Goyder river morph.
M.tebera (Lake Tebera rainbow)

C.fasciata (Barred rainbow)

G.wanamensis (lake Wanam rainbow)apparently...

Love rainbows too, underated by many. Some compromise though with mature fish and planted aquaria. I love both and well are mostly but not entirely compatible in my experiance.

Just wow, This tank looks so professional. I bet you're extremely proud of what you've achieved.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back