75g planted tank build

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

kross

Reaction score
Hello everyone! After taking 10 years off from the hobby, and moving cross country, I've decided I need some fishies back in my life.

75 gallon tank from Facebook marketplace, and stand from Petsmart. I painted the back black.

PXL_20220424_010440881.jpg

The light is a Finnex Planted+ 24/7 ALC LED light
PXL_20220424_010455090.jpg

I'm using a canister filter that I had from before, a Rena Filstar XP3 (now known as API Filstar). Rated at 350 gph.
PXL_20220424_010517800.jpg

I have CO2 from before. I may or may not used it. I guess it depends on the amount of light and what plants I decide on.
PXL_20220424_010536510.MP.jpg

I'll be going with sand for a substrate. I plan to have lots of cories on the bottom, and I heard sand is the best for them.
PXL_20220424_010605018.jpg

Sand is in place. It took 2 50-pound bags.
PXL_20220424_011902089.MP.jpg

Ohko stone and spider wood. Not 100% convinced on this layout. I will watch some more YouTube videos and browse some more threads for inspiration! :)
PXL_20220424_034716593.jpg

This is where I'm leaving it for tonight. I'll probably come back tomorrow and tear it down and try something else :)

I plan on having lots of plants. Sand may or may not be the best for plants. I do plan on using plenty of root tabs in the sand, plus fertilizer in the water column.

Anyway, thanks for looking. More to come!

-- Kevin

Nice start 👍 Sand and root tabs with good light is heaven to plants🙂

What are you planning to go with the cories?

What are you planning to go with the cories?

I haven't really decided. A large school or two of small fish. :) Maybe neon tetras, galaxy rasboras, not sure. I have a while before I need to make up my mind. I will run it with plants only for a while, while the tank cycles.

Like this, I will be watching how it goes. Planting options are what interest me.

Probably a big Amazon sword, some stem plant bunches in the background, some java fern on the wood, maybe some anubias nana on the rocks.

I haven't decided what to put in the foreground.

Open for suggestions!

I haven't really decided. A large school or two of small fish. :) Maybe neon tetras, galaxy rasboras, not sure. I have a while before I need to make up my mind. I will run it with plants only for a while, while the tank cycles.
Consider Rummy Nose Tetra too - great shoaling as they move back and forth across the tank.

Probably a big Amazon sword, some stem plant bunches in the background, some java fern on the wood, maybe some anubias nana on the rocks.

I haven't decided what to put in the foreground.

Open for suggestions!
Cryptocoryne, there are many sizes and shades, some are even crinkly, but mostly a rosette arrangement of the leaves so low enough for the foreground.

Consider Rummy Nose Tetra too - great shoaling as they move back and forth across the tank.
I will certainly add them to the list for consideration!

Cryptocoryne, there are many sizes and shades, some are even crinkly, but mostly a rosette arrangement of the leaves so low enough for the foreground.
Excellent idea, thanks!

Awesome start! I'm loving the plan. Just be careful with the rocks because they may try to get "in" the rock and could get cut... Its a possibility to look out for. Not a huge big concern.

Got some more driftwood, some bigger pieces. So I'll be rearranging things. :D

Quick question. How deep is too deep with the sand? I made some little hills out of the sand, and in those areas it's 4-5" (10-12.5cm) deep. Do I need to worry about bad stuff growing in the sand where it's too deep? Should I put gravel under the sand in those deeper places?

Quick question. How deep is too deep with the sand? I made some little hills out of the sand, and in those areas it's 4-5" (10-12.5cm) deep. Do I need to worry about bad stuff growing in the sand where it's too deep? Should I put gravel under the sand in those deeper places?
Some people have sand depths of 6" so it should be fine but don't go deep in with the siphon when you are doing substrate cleaning.

So I got some bigger pieces of wood to put in the tank. Tore everything down and rearranged. There's at least a 45.9726% chance that I will tear it down and rearrange it all over again. :D
PXL_20220427_040324981.MP.jpg
PXL_20220427_040442892.jpg
PXL_20220427_040514622.jpg
PXL_20220427_040454581.jpg
PXL_20220427_040500357.jpg

Oh, I finally ordered some plants. Some ludwigia, java fern, Amazon sword, crypts, dwarf sag, and probably a couple other plants. I only got a few of each, nowhere near enough for a tank this size. I'll buy more once I start planting and see what I like and what I want more of.

Thanks for looking!
-- Kevin

So I got some bigger pieces of wood to put in the tank. Tore everything down and rearranged. There's at least a 45.9726% chance that I will tear it down and rearrange it all over again. :D
View attachment 158710View attachment 158711View attachment 158715View attachment 158713View attachment 158714

Oh, I finally ordered some plants. Some ludwigia, java fern, Amazon sword, crypts, dwarf sag, and probably a couple other plants. I only got a few of each, nowhere near enough for a tank this size. I'll buy more once I start planting and see what I like and what I want more of.

Thanks for looking!
-- Kevin
Looking very good! I would keep it just like that Kross!

I have most of my tanks with layered substrate. Usually an inch or so of thicker gravel, a layer of fluval stratum, then top that off with some sand or gravel (depending on what I’m going with). image.jpg
Something like this.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back