7 days of fish w/ no Ammonia readings

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

BigRed948

Reaction score
Hey Everyone,

I've been attempting to cycle my tank with 3 zebra danios, but after 7 days I still have no Ammonia Readings or Nitrate Readings, is there something I'm doing wrong or not doing? I thought the cycling process took 3-4 weeks, but after looking on this forum, it seems people were at least getting SOME readings after just a few days of having fish.

other than what you read below the only other thing I've done was add some water condtioner (NovAqua) when I was setting up the tank.

all feedback would be appreciated.

Here's a little more info about my tank:

10 Gal

Filtered for: 15 days
Fish for: 7 days

Temp: 73f
pH: 7.6
Ammonia: 0ppm
Nitrite: 0ppm
KH: ~100ppm
GH: ~100ppm

Filtration:

Aquaclear Mini /w carbon filter in place
Tom Dive Power 40 w/ carbon base in place

Heater:

Tronic 50w

Thanks Again,

-Greg

Hi Greg,

I'd have thought you'd of had readings by now :/

Keep testing for now, check dates on test kit (i'm sure you have but check instructions/method of test) and let us know what happens....

:)

Yep, that's what struck me as odd too. The kit hasn't expired, and I'm following the instructions properly.

I guess I'll keep testing and post the results. I might take the water in this weekend to the pet shop and have them test also.

Does it matter that I'm runnning the carbon filters? is that hindering the cycling process?

I didn't test during the 1st 5 days of having fish, but I wouldn't think the cycle would be over quick enough for me to miss anything during those first 5 days, would it?

Thanks

-Greg

If I was going to give it a label like that steve, I'd call it "super duper fish water" :p

Just an update, Day 9. Ammonia and Nitrites still testing 0ppm

how big is you tank, that doesnt sound like very many fish to cycle with...um...try adding 2 or 3 more and see what happens

10 gal tank

talk to the guys at the petstore. I"m just goig to wait about 3 more weeks. then test the water and and fish

i would up the temp a bit 76 to 82 dont know where i get that from but hey. as for cycling the tank sounds like its going pretty well have you taken some of the tank water in to the fish shop to have it tested?

I called the shop, and they said they wouldn't be testing anything for anything that I'm not testing for at home. So I decided not to take any in.

Hi Bigred
I had the same problem when I was trying to cycle my 1000 gall(UK) system.
I added two breeding pairs for angels (system was set up for breeding discus)and still got no ammonia readings, even with their young, after 3 weeks.. It took 4-5 weeks for any readings to show. as by this time the two paris had spawned twice each the total fish count was about 2000. the reeding then went through the roof.
I would sugest that you do not add any more fish for at least another two weeks. Just incase your test kits are not working I would still take a water sample to your LFS to get it checked...

Dolphin.... :ring:

Thanks D- that's what I'm doing.. I've just decided to be patient.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back