60l Biotope Step 1

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

mford7388

Reaction score
Started this 60l biotope tank a couple of days ago before I disappear to Thailand for a month over the weekend. 8kg white sand, red moor wood, dragon rock, small pebbles and gravel for detail. Trying to go as “low tech” as possible with the gear.

Equipment used:

Ciano 60 tank
AQQA 3w double sponge filter
PYPABL 60w heater
Think the LED included with the tank is a bit on the “clinical” side so maybe I’ll dim it down a little bit!

Next I plan to add a few anubias, a good scattering of leaf litter/seed pods etc and LIVERSTOCK!! Thinking 10-15 ember tetras but open to suggestions.

This is my third tank and I’m very pleased with the results so far!! Stay tuned for updates :)

Comments and suggestions very welcome.

Attachments

• ADA6AB2B-8D4C-4A27-AF4F-8D11DF78B81B.jpeg
    ADA6AB2B-8D4C-4A27-AF4F-8D11DF78B81B.jpeg
    320.8 KB · Views: 1,938
I LOVE the spider wood but the white sand seems pretty intense but some plants would cut that down a lot.

Of course it is your tank and only your opinion is really important but, if it were me, I'd look for some plants that will add contrasting colors such as red tiger lotus bulbs (Nypmhaea Zenkeri). Red stem Anubias (Anubias Afzelii) are also interesting as to a color contrast.

Notes on the two plants I suggested:

Red Tiger Lotus bulbs (Nypmhaea Zenkeri): Beautiful plants that will send runners to the surface. They are bulbs and must NOT be totally buried in the substrate. Actually they really don't need to be even partially buried. Many of the bulbs get thrown away as people think they are dead as they can take over a month to start sprouting. If the runners to the surface are too much as they can be as to blocking light just snip them off. Just be warned that, if all surface runners are kept snipped, the plant will eventually stop sending them out. If I'm correct your Ciano 60 tank equates to 58L or 15 gallon. I would keep the surface runners clipped as they would end up covering the surface blocking light.

2) Red Stem Anubias (Anubias Afzelii): An Anubias with more slender leaves and red stems. These should not be planted in the substrate an they have rhizomes just above the roots. If the rhizome is below the surface of the substrate it is very likely that it will rot killing the plant. The plant should be glued or tied to a rock or wood. If a thin rock, or near the base of wood, the roots may very well grow into the substrate but thisn't really necessary as they get the majority of their nutrients from the water.

Both the plants above are considered easy to keep and add a bit of contrasting color. I'm not saying that you should get these plants, just that I think they could make a good color contrast. :)

Red Tiger Lotus bulbs (Nypmhaea Zenkeri)

OIP.jpg

Red Stem Anubias (Anubias Afzelii)

2e26adb8465807e999b22a0821ff5a99.jpg

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back