60Gal Office Tropical

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

BiggTexx

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hi all!  New to the forums and the larger scale freshwater scene, but enjoyed going through all of the journals and thought I would share one of my own.

While my 'normal' cycling process may be considered taboo to most, it has treated me very well over the years and I decided that I should stick with a process that I know for my new setup.

To make a long story short, I acquired a cheap 60gal (I believe it is technically a 58gal) that was new in the package.  Anyways, it is what I have always called a 'wall hugger' tank, which is tall and long, but relatively narrow in width, around 24" high x 12" wide x 48" long.  While I was a bit concerned with the dimensions at first, it turned out to be a perfect fit for my newly built, remote office.  I live out in a rural area of South East Texas, so my primary water source comes from a 450' deep well on the property and the water quality has been outstanding for my tanks thus far.  I'm currently starting out with silk/plastic decor and will eventually expand out to live plants/driftwood.

For the first week I ran a fish-less cycle using pure ammonia and recovered media from a cycled tank, and have since added in 6 zebra danios and 6 red eye tetras to finish out the process (I am now in week 3). I am currently running a Marineland C-360 Canister filter (which seems to be processing better than some of the smaller fluval canisters I have had) and monitoring the water levels up to twice daily.

With the charting I have been doing, I am confident that I may be reaching a full cycle this week!  Next readings are due in roughly an hour, so I will update as soon as possible.  Pictures to come soon!

As a side note, I know that using fish during a cycle is seen as taboo, but I would like to say that I have not lost any of my fish to date using this dual-process method.

It is now officially the first day of week 4 in my cycle and I think I am done!

Ammonia - 0ppm
Nitries - 0ppm
Nitrates - 20ppm
pH - 76
Temp- 80F

Danios and tetras moved over to a holding tank while I run what will hopefully be my last ammonia test.  Fingers crossed! 
wahey.gif

Back to 0ppm on ammonia in just under 14 hours.  pH and Nitrates holding steady, so time for a water change.

Have really been thinking about what I plan to do with this tank and I think I am moving towards to a 75/25 gravel sand layout.  Will mostly likely be a pain to get going, but should give me enough flexibility to add in some cory's later.  I have never tried the sand/gravel mix before, but think I can manage it.  From the pics and vids I have seen so far they add an interesting element to the tank and since this this tank is so wide, I think it may help to break up the tank into visual 'areas'.

Attached is a pic during the first part of my cycle.  Try to ignore all of the LFS decorations, that is what I get for letting my wife run around unattended; although, I have to say it is not all that bad...  Wait, am I going senile?

20141012_092653_Medium.jpg

So, I decided to go ahead and add some sand before I go through with the water change.  This will keep me from having to perform a second change if I muddy the waters up real bad.

Currently going through a gravel adjustment.  Fun, fun...  
Dunno.gif

20141016_161808_Small.jpg

Even though I am not a fan of plastic deco, I guess this can hang around a while.  Don't want to upset the wife if I can avoid it, lol.

Next up, washing the PFS...

Looks great! What fish are you planning on adding? Will you eventually be adding live plants?

Most reactions

Back