60Gal Office Tropical

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

BiggTexx

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hi all!  New to the forums and the larger scale freshwater scene, but enjoyed going through all of the journals and thought I would share one of my own.

While my 'normal' cycling process may be considered taboo to most, it has treated me very well over the years and I decided that I should stick with a process that I know for my new setup.

To make a long story short, I acquired a cheap 60gal (I believe it is technically a 58gal) that was new in the package.  Anyways, it is what I have always called a 'wall hugger' tank, which is tall and long, but relatively narrow in width, around 24" high x 12" wide x 48" long.  While I was a bit concerned with the dimensions at first, it turned out to be a perfect fit for my newly built, remote office.  I live out in a rural area of South East Texas, so my primary water source comes from a 450' deep well on the property and the water quality has been outstanding for my tanks thus far.  I'm currently starting out with silk/plastic decor and will eventually expand out to live plants/driftwood.

For the first week I ran a fish-less cycle using pure ammonia and recovered media from a cycled tank, and have since added in 6 zebra danios and 6 red eye tetras to finish out the process (I am now in week 3). I am currently running a Marineland C-360 Canister filter (which seems to be processing better than some of the smaller fluval canisters I have had) and monitoring the water levels up to twice daily.

With the charting I have been doing, I am confident that I may be reaching a full cycle this week!  Next readings are due in roughly an hour, so I will update as soon as possible.  Pictures to come soon!

As a side note, I know that using fish during a cycle is seen as taboo, but I would like to say that I have not lost any of my fish to date using this dual-process method.

It is now officially the first day of week 4 in my cycle and I think I am done!

Ammonia - 0ppm
Nitries - 0ppm
Nitrates - 20ppm
pH - 76
Temp- 80F

Danios and tetras moved over to a holding tank while I run what will hopefully be my last ammonia test.  Fingers crossed! 
wahey.gif

Back to 0ppm on ammonia in just under 14 hours.  pH and Nitrates holding steady, so time for a water change.

Have really been thinking about what I plan to do with this tank and I think I am moving towards to a 75/25 gravel sand layout.  Will mostly likely be a pain to get going, but should give me enough flexibility to add in some cory's later.  I have never tried the sand/gravel mix before, but think I can manage it.  From the pics and vids I have seen so far they add an interesting element to the tank and since this this tank is so wide, I think it may help to break up the tank into visual 'areas'.

Attached is a pic during the first part of my cycle.  Try to ignore all of the LFS decorations, that is what I get for letting my wife run around unattended; although, I have to say it is not all that bad...  Wait, am I going senile?

20141012_092653_Medium.jpg

So, I decided to go ahead and add some sand before I go through with the water change.  This will keep me from having to perform a second change if I muddy the waters up real bad.

Currently going through a gravel adjustment.  Fun, fun...  
Dunno.gif

20141016_161808_Small.jpg

Even though I am not a fan of plastic deco, I guess this can hang around a while.  Don't want to upset the wife if I can avoid it, lol.

Next up, washing the PFS...

Looks great! What fish are you planning on adding? Will you eventually be adding live plants?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back