60 gallon cycling question

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

nighthawk723

Reaction score
I'm currently fishless cycling a 60 gallon tank with sand substrate and about 30% live plants.heat is at 80 degrees with filter running 24hours. I'm using fish flakes for ammonia ( no stores sells pure ammonia around me), and was wondering if I can speed it up by using python bio support which is a bacteria in a bottle. I don't now anyone that can seed my tank. I've gotten up to 3ppm for ammonia and its been a week. The tank looks yellow with all the bacteria blooming so it's working so far...

Any idea what is in the python bio support?
Their website doesn't provide me with much information other than it's part of a 3 step process and should be used in new tanks.

If it has nitrifying bacteria in the ingredients, then yes you can add it to help get things going faster.

The best way to use liquid bacterial supplements is to add a double dose every day for a week and then leave it at that. If you want to add more you can but normally a double dose each day for a week is sufficient. Try to add the supplement near the filter intake so the bacteria gets drawn into the filter.

Though im not a huge fan of using those bacteria in a bottle products, that does seem to have the right constituents.

Once you are cycled here is a tip for future. Go get a plastic mesh bag and fill it with lava rock or ceramic (lava is cheaper). Pop that in your tank and then in a few weeks you will be able to seed tanks.

+1 on ceramic rings and Tetra safe Start +

Less than 1.5 weeks after adding, I began to have nitrite readings. My tank was sitting for 4 weeks with absolutely nothing happening before that.

Last edited:

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back