60 Gallon Cube Stocking Ideas

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

zagfuchs

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
I am looking for ideas on how to stock my new 60 gallon cube aquarium. I want to do a community tank, my wife and I really like the Rams and the Apistogrammas, not sure how they would work together, from my understanding it's about a 50/50 shot of making it work. We also like Tetras, Cory Cats and Khuuli Loaches. Need some recommendations of species and quantities for the tank due to the aquarium being 2'x2'x2' instead of the typical four foot long. Let me know what suggestions you have and thanks everyone in advance.

I am looking for ideas on how to stock my new 60 gallon cube aquarium. I want to do a community tank, my wife and I really like the Rams and the Apistogrammas, not sure how they would work together, from my understanding it's about a 50/50 shot of making it work. We also like Tetras, Cory Cats and Khuuli Loaches. Need some recommendations of species and quantities for the tank due to the aquarium being 2'x2'x2' instead of the typical four foot long. Let me know what suggestions you have and thanks everyone in advance.
Hi and welcome to the forum :hi:

There’s lots of nice knowledgable people here and lots to learn. I hope you enjoy it with us.

Is there any chance you could provide the GH of your tap water? Information can usually be found through your local water supplier.

Once you have this post the results on thread. Alternatively, you can test water from home using a water testing kit.

Members can then make stocking suggestions :)

This information is required as some species prefer softer water with a lower PH. Whilst others prefer a slightly higher PH, and prefer to naturally live in hard water.

The forum runs a tank of the month contest every month. You may want to consider entering once all set up, be sure to vote in the current Mays contest running. Just click the TOTM banner at the top of the page.

Best of luck :fish:

There are some options among fish species that do not swim actively (thus needing length over depth) but many of these will be wild caught so knowing the GH and pH as Guppylover mentioned is important.

I can say no to the Rams and Apistogramma; combining neotropical cichlids in the same tank is generally not advisable, with a few exceptions, but certainly when the surface area of the substrate is this confined; territories need more space.

As others have mentioned.

What are the tank dimensions (length x width x height)?

What is the GH (general hardness) and pH of your water supply. This information can usually be obtained from your water supply company's website or by telephoning them. If they can't help you, take a glass full of tap water to the local pet shop and get them to test it for you. Write the results down (in numbers) when they do the tests. And ask them what the results are in (eg: ppm, dGH, or something else).

---------------
No to rams and Apistorgrammas together. In small tanks you should only keep 1 species of cichlid because they are highly territorial and will fight.

If your water chemistry is suitable for Rams and Apistogrammas, then you could keep one of those species. Keep them in prs if possible. Personally I prefer Apistogrammas and Apistogramma cacatuoides is one of the best looking dwarf cichlids around. They are also generally good quality and have few health issues.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back